Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bad form and unacceptable.

I was out in a park today with my camera.
On the way along the trail I saw two younger photographers ( in their early '20s perhaps) with large lenses etc ,
lying prone on the ground.
And with the lenses very close to some beautiful daffodils (or Jonquils).
On the way back the young guys were gone and I went over to those flowers.

There were crushed plants all around that stand of Jonquils.

05-02-2016, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Well, that's just rude, after someone working so hard on that landscaping. Too bad people can't get a free etiquette class with their fancy equipment.
05-02-2016, 07:57 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is NOT what they mean by "take only pictures, leave only footprints"!
05-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Walk by in a couple of days and see what the damage is. My guess is that the plants bound back quickly - still it was rude and thoughtless and a bit stupid.

05-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Walk by in a couple of days and see what the damage is. My guess is that the plants bound back quickly -
Oh.. No, I know nothing about flowers but I could see those tubular stalks were broken for the season.
Also I respectfully suggest that attitude like that could be contributing to why we see that "big" and "detachable lens" cameras are no longer allowed in certain venues.
05-02-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Oh.. No, I know nothing about flowers but I could see those tubular stalks were broken for the season.
Also I respectfully suggest that attitude like that could be contributing to why we see that "big" and "detachable lens" cameras are no longer allowed in certain venues.
Really??? Did why did you only quote me partially? I don't think that is even remotely fair.
05-02-2016, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I always thought I was suppose to take photos and then trample everything until there was only footprints. I thought the philosophy was to make sure I have the only photos so they would be worth more. I will have to rethink this.

It is too bad some people don't have consideration.

05-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Really??? Did why did you only quote me partially? I don't think that is even remotely fair.
Sorry: the rest of your quote (below) was a bit inflammatory to me when I was trying to say such conduct by a photographer is "unacceptable" :
You added: "still it was rude and thoughtless and a bit stupid.", which I thought was out of line.

I feel you add it as an afterthought to your opinion that the park is undisturbed by such behaviour, so the next 18 year old photographer will feel he is just being
" rude and thoughtless and a bit stupid." which I think is an understatement of such conduct.

If you damage something in a park do you think you are just being " rude and thoughtless and a bit stupid." ?
05-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I agree with the OP.

Another example.

There is a nice little riverine forest trail I frequent. One thing that gets me, is how after a rain, bicyclists (some...not all) run through the mud trail, churning it up badly. BTW, it's not motorcycles, which are not allowed and I've never seen in the forest preserve.

I agree with the old adage, of leave nothing in a forest preserve, but your footprints and take nothing but photographs and memories.

As an aside, I'm a bicyclist, but I don't ride in fragile preserves.
05-02-2016, 09:57 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry: the rest of your quote (below) was a bit inflammatory to me when I was trying to say such conduct by a photographer is "unacceptable" :
You added: "still it was rude and thoughtless and a bit stupid.", which I thought was out of line.

I feel you add it as an afterthought to your opinion that the park is undisturbed by such behaviour, so the next 18 year old photographer will feel he is just being
" rude and thoughtless and a bit stupid." which I think is an understatement of such conduct.

If you damage something in a park do you think you are just being " rude and thoughtless and a bit stupid." ?
Wow. Your totally off base putting words in my head and reading clear disdain as faint praise. Rude and thoughtless - and stupid how is unacceptable any more negative. I am completely floored by your inaccurate reading of my hope that these morons didn't cause lasting damage. Hey enjoy the thread. I'm done.
05-02-2016, 10:22 PM - 2 Likes   #11

Photos: Albums
I would have assumed that in ANY circumstance, being 'rude, thoughtless, and a bit stupid' was also seen as behavior deemed 'unacceptable'.

Its kinda of subjective, being that something rude, thoughtless and a bit stupid might not be the same as what someone else thinks is rude, thoughtless and a bit stupid.

I'm just perplexed how you could feel it was an afterthought, and didn't see they where agreeing with you. With the added hope the flowers would bounce back and be fine.

Gotta love the internet, and the lack of person to person communication that usually helps avoid these types of disagreements
05-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

lol, this thread washed downhill quickly
05-02-2016, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was out in a park today with my camera.
On the way along the trail I saw two younger photographers ( in their early '20s perhaps) with large lenses etc ,
lying prone on the ground.
And with the lenses very close to some beautiful daffodils (or Jonquils).
On the way back the young guys were gone and I went over to those flowers.

There were crushed plants all around that stand of Jonquils.

Canon owners stomping on anything in their way?
05-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #14
Pentaxian

bizarre
05-03-2016, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That is NOT what they mean by "take only pictures, leave only footprints"!

More on the level of "crush your enemies, drive them before you and hear the lamentations of their women" (Conan the Barbarian).

There are rules governing language on this forum which mean that condemnations, insults and putdowns sometimes have to be understated compared to what the writer really feels, not to mention that this sort of understatement is also part of some people's culture. I suspect if Uncle Vanya had caught the little buggers at it, the stuff we'd have heard coming out of his mouth would make a sailor blush - in tone, if not in content.

---------- Post added 03-05-16 at 08:13 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Canon owners stomping on anything in their way?
For all we know they had Sonys or Nikons. Heaven forfend that they have Pentaxes.

Big lens, small heart.