Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to take your own portrait? Using K-3ii, DA* 55mm, & tripod

What are some tips for taking your own portrait? For work I need a more professional picture. I plan on using my K-3ii, DA* 55mm, tripod, and a remote. Other than setting the lens to a high f value to ensure I'm in focus what other tips are good to keep in mind?

06-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a remote control? Also, see if its possible to use an external monitor (maybe it isn't... i've never checked) to position yourself in shot more easily.
06-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like with any portrait, quality and direction of light are important. If you can use soft natural light that usually works well but if you need to use a flash get it off the camera. I've put a light stand where my face will be and focused on that before switching to manual focus and hitting the shutter with the 12 second timer. Then I go and move the stand and try to put my eye where I had focused on it.
06-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #4

remote control, light and background control and smile away

06-30-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #5

I don't have my camera in front of me, but one of the shooting interval modes does a focus for each shot, so I have used that to snap off every second and then I can move and pose then pick the best shot out of the bunch since you can not see what its taking. This allows you to stop down and not worry about beign out of focus
06-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
I don't have my camera in front of me, but one of the shooting interval modes does a focus for each shot, so I have used that to snap off every second and then I can move and pose then pick the best shot out of the bunch since you can not see what its taking. This allows you to stop down and not worry about beign out of focus

That's a very good idea, thank you. How do you know the focus point is on the right spot (such as your nose)?
06-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As for focus, buy a stuffed animal. Place the stuffie where you would be placing your head/other anatomical bit you may be photographing/whatever, man, not asking questions.... and use that to get your focus. it'll cut down on the constant reshoots as you try to get your shot in.

Avoid autofocus unless you're going for a narrow aperture unless you enjoy tearing your hair out in frustration.

06-30-2016, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the answers already give the clues but my first gut reaction is that you don't do this. You hire a pro or find another photographer who will trade work with you and you relax and let them do the shots. Why? Because you can't see yourself easily unless you get an HDMI monitor and attach it. You can only guess what the pose or light is doing until you walk up and review it.

Just a thought. If not then yes AF on remote works to a degree, prefocus on a target at the same distance and leave the lens on manual works, etc. I've done all of them at one time or another for selfie's for the Single In group but I would probably pay or exchange work if I needed photos for work that were high grade.
06-30-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think the answers already give the clues but my first gut reaction is that you don't do this. You hire a pro or find another photographer who will trade work with you and you relax and let them do the shots. Why? Because you can't see yourself easily unless you get an HDMI monitor and attach it. You can only guess what the pose or light is doing until you walk up and review it.

Just a thought. If not then yes AF on remote works to a degree, prefocus on a target at the same distance and leave the lens on manual works, etc. I've done all of them at one time or another for selfie's for the Single In group but I would probably pay or exchange work if I needed photos for work that were high grade.
If the shot was for something pro, I definitely agree with this. If all you're doing is dinking around however it can be fun to just kick back and be self absorbed sometimes.
06-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Try a large mirror?
06-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
If the shot was for something pro, I definitely agree with this. If all you're doing is dinking around however it can be fun to just kick back and be self absorbed sometimes.
Or you spouse see's you as some sort of camera god and thinks a self portrait of the 2 of you anytime/anyplace is a simple task. Learning how to be somewhat prepared is nice.

:P
06-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

I am with UncleVanya on this. From my horrible personal attempts, I am reminded of the legal maxim. "A man who represents himself in a court of law, has a fool for a client"
06-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Go to Michael's and buy a styrofoam head and put it at approximately where you are going to stand. Get your settings right in camera, then move the head and take the photo. You can use the timer or the a remote shutter release.
06-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I am with UncleVanya on this. From my horrible personal attempts, I am reminded of the legal maxim. "A man who represents himself in a court of law, has a fool for a client"
I have taken some selfies I like and capture things that I think are awesome. But I think the type of portrait described is a bit more formal and might benefit from another persons eye.
06-30-2016, 06:46 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

I've been playing around with this in my basement lately. Last year I simply focused on something then tried to approximate the exact location. I used a regular lamp with a $5 softbox overtop from ebay. This year I've been playing around with Yongnuo 560IV's and the Tx and some ebay soft boxes on stands. I have a medium gray cloth hung on a dowel and two hooks. I can do some high or low key using this based on how I set up the flashes. I was also given an old small square LCD computer monitor. I now have it hooked up via a couple of cables. K3 -> HDMI -> DVI. I then shoot myself in live view so I can see when my face turns white (focus peaking). Unfortunately I still can't see it well enough (visually impaired--I normally sit six inches from my 27" monitor) so a lot of trial and error is needed. I started by using the self timer and running back and forth. I'm now using a cheap remote shutter release. I'm fairly pleased with some of the results. Here's a few. The one with the wide brimmed hat was last year with the cheap lamp and mini soft box. The suit is new and more sophisticated so I had to get more sophisticated with my selfies or soemthing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B12dWDIYqmC0MVJKaWJ6TmpLMGM

This is coming from someone who can't really see himself in a mirror, but it does feel quite strange repeatedly posing and I guess coaching yourself for protraits. I never do selfies otherwise.