Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

astro photography question

i know there is a specific thread for astrophotography in this forum that i cant seem to find...as such, if mods can blend this into that forum, that would be appreciated.

my question is to finding the milyway.
i know how to discover the north star, thats easy. my difficulty is finding the milkway. where am i pointing my camera to get the milkway in the picture?

and to make it more relevant, this was the first attempt i made at astrophotography and/or star trail. not the greatest pic in terms of compostion, but i was curious as to what my 24-70 2.8 lens can do on my k1

07-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
Forum Member

if you can find cygnus it points directly along the milky way (aka Northern Cross)

Germanic Astronomy

this page has a graphic

Last edited by freddyisaac; 07-29-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
07-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is visible with the naked eye PROVIDING there are dark enough skies and you have little light pollution. Looking at the telergraph pole, I think there might be a bit too much light pollution, plus if you've just taken the image, the sky isn't dark enough at the moment.
07-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can also use an app on your phone or tablet. Skyview works fine for this and will show you exactly where the milky way is.

07-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...for questions/threads on astrophotography you could visit or join the ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY group within PentaxForums 😏
Astrophotography - PentaxForums.com
07-29-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Download a copy of Stellarium and all will be revealed.

Stellarium

Nick
08-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #7

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
The center of the galaxy is to the South, and from there, stretch's in an arc pretty much overhead (zenith) around 00:00 hrs this time of year (in the North). So if you stand facing East, your right arm out (to the south), and arc that arm up and over your head, it will pretty much point all along this arc. You will be looking "out" / away from the core.

08-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #8

This is what the Milky Way looked like last weekend from Mid Wales.

08-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The Milky Way is pretty much "The Eastern Sky" where I am. It rides from Capricorn in an arc across to Cassiopeia, with the northern cross as a good 'midway' point.

I shot this back on the first of June, and the road runs almost due south from where I was shooting from in front of the house here.

08-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
i know there is a specific thread for astrophotography in this forum that i cant seem to find...as such, if mods can blend this into that forum, that would be appreciated.

my question is to finding the milyway.
i know how to discover the north star, thats easy. my difficulty is finding the milkway. where am i pointing my camera to get the milkway in the picture?

and to make it more relevant, this was the first attempt i made at astrophotography and/or star trail. not the greatest pic in terms of compostion, but i was curious as to what my 24-70 2.8 lens can do on my k1
from this pic, look behind your right shoulder.
08-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #11

I also use an app. For my recent vacation I used TPE, The Photographer's Ephemeris, to plan my night months in advance. I checked moon rise, galactic center rise, etc, everything but weather and picked a night. Once there the milky way was visible but I could have used this app, or others, to help locate it. Since I don't shoot the milky way very often, and this was my first night out with the K-1, I was mostly concentrating on the process but I am pretty happy with the results.

08-03-2016, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I also use an app. For my recent vacation I used TPE, The Photographer's Ephemeris, to plan my night months in advance. I checked moon rise, galactic center rise, etc, everything but weather and picked a night. Once there the milky way was visible but I could have used this app, or others, to help locate it. Since I don't shoot the milky way very often, and this was my first night out with the K-1, I was mostly concentrating on the process but I am pretty happy with the results.
I can't plan my astronomy more than an hour ahead let alone months in advance, but that is all part of the fun of living on an island in the North Atlantic under the circumpolar jet stream, it is supposed to be high summer and we currently have high winds, light rain, 100% low cloud but at least it is quite warm at 17C. Someone once described living in the UK as like living in a Tupperware box, every time you look up all you see is grey.