Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The Falls of Saint Marys Monastery
Lens: Pentax DA 18-55 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Maryland ISO: 100 

Taken near the ruins of the Monastery in Howard County Maryland. Some PP in LR4. Comments and critique are always welcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You did a really nice job of capturing the water in this image. However, there is a lot of dead space and a couple of distractions (large rock bottom left corner) that could benefit from cropping the image. For this image, my favorite crop was a square crop. It removed the most dead space on the ends and helped remove the big rock.

I also suggest using a levels adjustment layer to make the water a bit more white and to add a little contrast. The levels layer I used is shown here.

The final image is here.

If you can reshoot, I would play around with the composition. Maybe trying to shoot it in portrait instead of landscape.

Tim

Disclaimer: thus edit was purely done to my particular tastes and do not necessarily represent the views of management.

Last edited by atupdate; 08-29-2014 at 08:14 AM.
08-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Tim for your helpful comments. I took a couple of dozen shots of this waterfall using 3 different lenses and compositions. I did have several similar to the crop you had done but thought showing more of the wall added some dimension. In retrospect, I think those compositions and the one you provided are a definite improvement. Thank you again.