Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Winter's coming
Lens: DA WR 55-300 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Near Saugerties, NY ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F22 

My landscape photos are consistently blah. But the fall foliage at Catskill Animal Sanctuary was so beautiful, I had to try capturing it somehow. So I fell back on the "Photography Class 101-Shake Your Camera" technique and got this (and about 100 other awful photos). What do you think? Trite or interesting? Although I did take some photos aimed straight at the colourful trees, I liked the cool tones (from the sky) in this one. Any suggestions re post-processing to make it better (maybe bring up the shadows a bit more?). Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by frogoutofwater; 10-27-2014 at 09:24 AM.
10-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very chilling. The branches almost remind me of frost formations. I gotta say that I like it overall.... its chaotic but linear at the same time. The only thing I don't like is the top portion of the image where the lines start to curve and break. If it were mine, I'd crop it at what looks to be about the top 1/8th.
10-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

No, leave it the way it is. It's an abstract which would go well in the world of commercial hotel or office art. Some people maintain that an abstract picture ought to have a puzzling something in it that makes people think and wonder and query what it is and what the meaning is. The bright white "intrusion" at the top fulfills this objective. People always remember such a picture.

Greetings
10-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it just the way it is - makes me think of winter ice...

10-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback!
10-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Darn it frog... you had to remind me. I've had lots of opportunity for frost and ice shots... I continue to resist. Even though I know, resistance is futile. There are times you have to draw your personal line in the sand, even if you just end up proving how powerless you are.

I am norm head and winter is not going to come this year... I have spoken.

Spoken while standing on my deck in my speedo, shaking my fist at the heavens.
10-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Darn it frog... you had to remind me. I've had lots of opportunity for frost and ice shots... I continue to resist. Even though I know, resistance is futile. There are times you have to draw your personal line in the sand, even if you just end up proving how powerless you are.

I am norm head and winter is not going to come this year... I have spoken.
Isn't it already winter where you live?

I thought I had cold resistance hardwired in my genes - both grandparents on my father's side of the family grew up in the North in Canada (northern Manitoba on Hudsons Bay and northern Quebec near Fort George). But after living away from Toronto in more temperate climates (Paris and NYC) for almost 10 years ago, I think my protective coating has worn off.

I'm trying to give up down, leather and most wool, so it's going to be a challenge this year to find warm winter clothes.

10-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It's 16 degrees right now... no winter here.... for heavens; sake, down, leather and wool... so what's left... cotton? Lycra? Rayon? Nylon? Ah.... spandex...
10-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's 16 degrees right now... no winter here.... for heavens; sake, down, leather and wool... so what's left... cotton? Lycra? Rayon? Nylon? Ah.... spandex...
Part of my attempt to start living by vegan-ish principles. Not there yet, but working on it. The winter answer seems to be Primaloft and similar materials, although I might have to double-layer. Spandex would only keep me warm by causing me to blush.
10-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

One of my buddies just became a vegan... it certainly makes meal prep interesting, but he's always so happy when we come up with something for him.