Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The World Has Changed.
Lens: 35mm Camera: K10 Photo Location: floor ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5 

Getting further down the rabbit hole with this one.

Again this was constructed with the the idea of commenting on if the world has changed.

I'd love to hear again what story you unpack from this one. Again I have been careful to strip the image back to just the things I felt necessary to tell the story. But did I manage to tell a story at all!

Cheers everyone :P

10-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

Refreshing pic.
10-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great to see something different, Tromboads!

If I can ask, why the folded newspaper?
10-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This was a lose attempt to stillfollow the criteria set over here; DEDPXL07 :: The World Has Changed · DEDPXL

Looking over it now tho, I don't like it :P

What I tried to do was comment on our relationship with the natural environment, but again without the context it’s to far down the rabbit hole. Still I’ll explain my logic.
Central bowl represents “nature”, or some natural resource, earth at a pinch. The pieces of pasta represent the produce of the earth. The coffee grinder is technology, progress. The hand on the top left is feminine trying to suggest ideas of nurturing, care, and hinting at the relationship I was trying to point you toward; that once upon a time we collected, gathered, instead of now simply taking forcefully.

On the right we have a masculine hand dominating the resource and seemingly jamming it through its tech, it’s overflowing and waste is everywhere.

But how the hell were you going to get all that from that Image? Exactly.

Back to the drawing board, :P

The newspaper was positioned with the gardening section (note the tree) on top to get you thinking about nature / the natural environment / earth etc, and hopefully kick start those thoughts as mentioned above.

10-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, I can see from your link this was to a brief.

And for a chance to win a Hasselblad, why not? :-D
10-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
The World Has Changed.
Your work is way to subtle for me, I'm just as "thick as mince" as they say around here.
10-27-2014, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not at all.

I'm trying to work from the assumption that it's for me to be as clear as possible for you!

Having said that, This was the follow up image I made that I feel is getting closer....

Here we have the feminine hand again on the left reaching for the fruit, whilst the plant is coming out of the grinder with the male hand moving in menacingly to active it.

I also set the grinder in a fake garden bed, further hinting at the idea of how natural we all find technology, when in actual fact it is anything but.

This "feels" much better to me.

10-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Does seem better, doesn't it?

And more self-explanatory.

There's that old axiom that if you're having to explain a communicative piece to someone, it simply hasn't worked.

The fruit here is clearly the subject, with a lot of competing demands around it.
10-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Totally agree Clackers, and yes glad the subject is finally clearer.

I just thought I'd add (my comments about it) now to save me coming back later # for the sake of the thread.
10-28-2014, 03:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me too, too subtle, cryptic, convoluted, enigmatic, unclear, obscure, confusing, puzzling, perplexing, baffling, mysterious, abstruse, oracular, incomprehensible, unfathomable and complicated for me.

Got to go back to my bartender and have him explain your pictures to me because I only had one year of schooling eighteen times over.
11-05-2014, 03:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Not at all.

I'm trying to work from the assumption that it's for me to be as clear as possible for you!

Having said that, This was the follow up image I made that I feel is getting closer....

Here we have the feminine hand again on the left reaching for the fruit, whilst the plant is coming out of the grinder with the male hand moving in menacingly to active it.

I also set the grinder in a fake garden bed, further hinting at the idea of how natural we all find technology, when in actual fact it is anything but.

This "feels" much better to me.
I quite like your idea, it's very interesting and original might be on this photo, I'd already put his hand on the handle and began to twist it.
Thank you!
11-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmm yes I wonder what that would look like. I might revisit this.
11-06-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haha, I am not sure if I totally get the narrative, but I really like these photos. Well executed, interesting stuff
11-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And results in!

#DEDPXL07 Critique - YouTube

Fail!

Was still fun though, well I learned some stuff in trying to take it but yeah.. no f***s were given.
11-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #15

Wow listening to that crap made my ears almost bleed. So snobby and cool...

Problem is I agreed with most of it.

Anyways I still think you made a nice pic, especially the second one. Cheers for trying - that's half the fun.