Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fields of clouds
Lens: Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 macro WR Camera: Pentax K-01 Photo Location: Germany 

A peaceful, fantasy place.

Serenity, field of clouds - 500px

11-24-2014, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

This is beautiful! I feel like this is the type of field one runs through in a white dress with a forbidden lover :P

In terms of critique, the horizon looks just slightly crooked, and I find the sky to be a little washed out, maybe increase contrast/saturation slightly to bring out the blue in the sky and the pinks in the clouds (granted, I'm a total sucker for bright, candy coloured, high contrast photos, so probably take it with a grain of salt).
11-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you want this shot in critique?
If yes I agree with the previous poster, and also I would have liked the clouds to have a more compositional location and not be cut off on left.
As it is it is difficult to see where the interest of view because no one theme dominates.
11-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Seeing as we're trying to help each other, here's my input:

Things you can change now:
1. This shot has empty space to the far right which serves no purpose other than to capture our attention and lock it in via the OOF grass and cloud edge. I'd crop the picture to 5x4 getting rid of most of that space.
2. The out of focus grass to the right is a distraction that could be painted out using a clone tool in PS.
3. The horizon is sloping left and could be corrected a touch

Things that would have been nice:
1. The grass horizon could have been higher - to cover the actual horizon and thus make the image very clean and simple.
2. The grass horizon could have been made lower - to expose some interesting landscape features in back.
3. The only direct light is on the clouds - it would have been an improvement to have captured a shot where some light was falling on the fields themselves. As it is they are in shadow and lacking contrast and there's no feeling of space as a result - flat and dead.

Hopefully you'll take my comments in good spirit and as they are were intended.

Cheers
Steve

11-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments! Yeah, the photo was taken on a hill, so there is a natural slope, which is why i didn't choose a classic rule of thirds composition. If I would rotate the camera to make that slope "horizontal", then the clouds and everything would be sideways. But yeah, I see that it might have been better without the distant treeline, and without the nearest grass blades.
And yep, I meant to post it in critique, as I like the photo, but I do feel more could be done. I like the colours, the clouds close to the field, but couldn't quite place my finger on what is wrong. So thanks for the tips, guys!
11-26-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The trees in the background appear slightly sloped to me as well, sorry, should have clarified.