Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Overprocessed or not?
ISO: 50 

This is the upper level of an uncompleted Civil War era fort. It didn't look interesting when processed with my usual moderate slider settings. I considered B&W but on a whim pushed things the other way: Vibrance +100, Saturation +100. Such extreme settings usually scare me off but seem to work on this photo. Critique on processing and composition (and anything else) is appreciated.

12-28-2014, 03:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The post work on this shot is a lot of fun. Looks quite metallic. The bit of sky, however, looks too artifacted, so I'd fix this.
The bigger issue to me is the black box in the middle of the path. Breaks up the scene with a thud.

M
12-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the processing even if it is much stronger than what you usually do. It seems to work well for this shot. I agree with Miguel about the sky. It's too bright and is distracting. The black box breaks up the lines of the composition, too, but it bothers me a lot less than the sky.
12-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel differently, that the processing competes with the composition. I see the colors and detail, not the overall image. To me the depth is lost, and the moment. There is something that you saw and wanted to capture. Is this image it? That is the main thing.

12-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think it's pretty cool.... the colour artifacts are quite artistic.
12-28-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The composition is great, the theme is abstract.
12-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a thought based on other comments...what about a crop to make it more abstract? Leave the processing as is, but get rid of the sky and the block. Try various versions and see what you think. It wouldn't be a Civil War fort any more, but you may find a gem hidden in the rough. Here's 5 seconds of work but you'll have the full image to work with...cloning out the sky by "making" other blocks, etc.

Attached Images

Last edited by jheu02; 12-28-2014 at 08:11 PM.
12-28-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
The post work on this shot is a lot of fun. Looks quite metallic. The bit of sky, however, looks too artifacted, so I'd fix this. The bigger issue to me is the black box in the middle of the path. Breaks up the scene with a thud.
I can fix the left portion of the sky but the center and right are blown out clouds with harsh CA around backlit weeds.The image is a DNG but I wasn't able to recover that part of the photo. The "black box" weighs approx 1300 pounds; moving it wasn't an option. Photoshopping the box out pushes processing too far for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
what about a crop to make it more abstract?
That's an interesting take on it. It solves the sky and leftover block on the ground. Cropping emphasizes the back wall and I now see that my focus wasn't good, either.
12-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Its cooked like a chicken at KFC -- extra (tasty) crispy.

That said, I think it works for the image in an artsy way -- the overprocessing isn't unattractive to me... has more of an abstract feel to it.

That black box has to go though (can you heal brush it out??)
12-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #10

I definitely like that cropped version, although I would say that it's a bit too resolution-harming to be printed big like that. Maybe next time?
12-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

i agree that the surreal look is somewhat interesting vs what the normally processed image may have been. clever.
comp is bugging me. a slightly longer lens would have allowed you to frame the lintels more uniformly for that infinity look(eliminating that sliver of blown sky). The black box is a bit distracting and perhaps could be cloned out.
the blue stones down front resemble tiles of fine lapis.
nice.
12-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Here's a thought based on other comments...what about a crop to make it more abstract? Leave the processing as is, but get rid of the sky and the block. Try various versions and see what you think. It wouldn't be a Civil War fort any more, but you may find a gem hidden in the rough. Here's 5 seconds of work but you'll have the full image to work with...cloning out the sky by "making" other blocks, etc.

Much prefer this version