Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #1

A Peaceful Waterfall
Lens: Sigma 18-35 f1.8 Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Bull Run Mountain Conservancy ISO: 100 

Two shots from the BRMC - one of my favorite local hiking spots. This miniature waterfall is a very popular area in the spring/summer, however when the snow is falling, no one's around!

The first image is my attempt at using Multi-Exposure Mode. I chose the "composite" option to achieve the blurred water look.

Looking for any C&C in regards to capture or processing. Thanks for looking!

Attached Images

Last edited by powasky; 01-30-2015 at 10:54 AM.
01-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find the second shot to be more visually compelling as it has multiple planes of interest that draw one's eye within the frame. The first shot attempts to fit too much into the frame from too tight of a perspective. There is not enough room for the water to roll out and the visual weight of the cluster of roots or limbs puts it all out of balance.

Both shots are at least a 1-2 stops underexposed and very drab looking. The white balance also seems too blue. The attractive orange leaves in the background need to be made more visible to add another level of interest.

Hope this helps.

M
01-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Miguel that the second pic is more visually pleasing. However, neither photo is really about the waterfall because the snow dominates everything due to how bright it is. This seems like a place for HDR where you could tame down the snow and bring up the waterfall.