Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Picture Critique Request
Lens: Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 Camera: Pentax K30 Photo Location: Llano County, Texas 

What should I do differently? Also, is that spot at the top of the picture on the lens, or inside the camera?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/65526-lextextrapper/albums/9693-m...cture88272.jpg

---------- Post added 05-04-15 at 03:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lextextrapper Quote
What should I do differently? Also, is that spot at the top of the picture on the lens, or inside the camera?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/65526-lextextrapper/albums/9693-m...cture88272.jpg
I guess I obviously don't know the correct way to post the picture here.

05-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #2

I am not the best to Critique Landscape but IMO its a nice colorful shot with out being over the top on colors and it looks well exposed.As far as the spot it looks like dust on your sensor and needs a good cleaning.
05-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm going to go all J.K Simmons in Whiplash on you: Do you think your sensor is clean or dirty?!

J.K Kidding, it's a nice shot, it needs a bit of saturation and increase in contrast in my opinion (not too much you might loose details from those shadows) Some selective masking of the sky to deepen those blues, a few dabs of spot removal for the dust and a teensy bit of vignetting should make this shot pop...
-regards...

05-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #4

I quite like the colours too. As for the spot, I thought it was a fly on my tv! The thing that I thought when I saw your photo on a critique side was that I wished it had something to throw my perspective off. Maybe get a bit lower so the close flowers appear larger and then you realize just how many flowers and dense colours there are opening up into the sky above. I'm not sure, I think it was something about the height at which you were standing that made the shot a little less dramatic but obviously beautiful nonetheless. Also, my eye wanted to flow left but there was some old wood debris on the right that I would be tempted to crop out because it moved my attention very strongly in that direction. Sorry, I'm not a landscape photographer so I'm not the best to give feedback. Otherwise, I like what the others say. I would love to see a final version after the feedback.

05-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

I don't think I'd split the picture in half with the horizon (meadow and sky), I'd place it in the the lower third or the upper third but not in the middle depending on what's more interesting to look at.
05-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I will second the opinion about changing height to add more drama. There is really too much sky if the flowers are the main focus.

Additionally, this is the type of image that you MUST shoot f16+ or use focus stacking. The depth of field for this shot is way too shallow, allowing only a portion of the field (and entire image) to be in focus, which minimizes their impact. The trees (and majority of the image) are just enough OOF that they become a mental quandary, leaving the viewer with a sense of confusion.

It's ok to use shallow depth of field to isolate a single object such as an animal, a person, a tree or a single flower, but a field of flowers is viewed as a single entity when presented in a shot like this. Finding your hyperfocal distance and a smaller aperture are basically a requirement.