Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fog Over Lake
Lens: pentax DA 18-135mm Camera: pentak k-3 Photo Location: Maryland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 

I'd like comments on this photo please, I have never taken photos of fog before and I feel like the color is off and it is overexposed? Or needs more contrast?

Last edited by Murfy; 08-22-2015 at 02:38 PM.
07-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

My first instinct is to say that a polarizing filter might have helped to bring out more detail of what is under the surface of the water. That would give some contrast between the waterline and the fog. However, since it was overcast, it may not have made much of a difference. Maybe some judicious post processing could help, but there isn't very much in the way of color in this picture. Might be a good candidate for B&W.

Regards,
Dan
07-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcumpian Quote
My first instinct is to say that a polarizing filter might have helped to bring out more detail of what is under the surface of the water. That would give some contrast between the waterline and the fog. However, since it was overcast, it may not have made much of a difference. Maybe some judicious post processing could help, but there isn't very much in the way of color in this picture. Might be a good candidate for B&W.

Regards,
Dan
I have some presets lightroom I forgot I had that I may try. I did pull back the saturation and contrast and I think I went too far so I will got back and play with that again. thanks
07-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the biggest problem with the photos is a lack of detail in the sky and the lake. I wonder if going black and white, bumping the contrast a little and doing more panorama crop and losing the majority of the sky might help.

07-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a b/w. It looks much more contrasty in lightroom. I had it as a split tone but I think it was too much

07-02-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As nice as the composition is, it doesn''t do anything for the fog. The fog really get's lost in the photo. partly because of the nice foreground, it just takes the attention away from the rest of the photo. As in the background nothing is happening. (the b&w is much better than the color photo btw).
07-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Done in OloneoPhotoEngine.
Increased contrast a little, adjusted both Hue Saturation and Hue Luminance in individual colour channels.
Better done in RAW.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 08-28-2015 at 02:51 AM.
07-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
my last go at this and then I think I will stop. I am having such a hard time with the color on this.

oh wow it looks so blue here. The as shot wb in lightroom is very blue and the auto in lightroom is very pink.

07-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A challenging photo. I had to work out in my mind what the photo was trying to convey to me. Guessing also what you on the spot saw. What I saw was a few rocks leading towards the slight dip in the hills. Some selective highlights, (a bit heavy handed in a couple of spots) sharpening and added contrast especially to the submerged rocks and it started to develop. Boost in the saturation overall, sharpening and contrast in the clouds and submerged rocks. Removal of some distracting small rocks and a crop, Voila my interpretation. May not suit everyone but that is half the fun.
Attached Images

07-04-2015, 03:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the challenge here is that there is not much fog about so it is only a thin line that fails to have enough compositional impact. Hard to really get around that with pp.
07-04-2015, 06:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
I think the challenge here is that there is not much fog about so it is only a thin line that fails to have enough compositional impact. Hard to really get around that with pp.
Yes I think I waved the white flag and have giving up trying to make this 'work'. Thanks everyone for the input. Maybe I will try on another visit. I was holding onto the photo so much because this is a recreational lake and for it to be so still to be able to see the rocks on the bottom is very rare. There is usually some kind of boat on it, even in the rain.
10-23-2019, 01:30 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
A challenging photo. I had to work out in my mind what the photo was trying to convey to me. Guessing also what you on the spot saw. What I saw was a few rocks leading towards the slight dip in the hills. Some selective highlights, (a bit heavy handed in a couple of spots) sharpening and added contrast especially to the submerged rocks and it started to develop. Boost in the saturation overall, sharpening and contrast in the clouds and submerged rocks. Removal of some distracting small rocks and a crop, Voila my interpretation. May not suit everyone but that is half the fun.
calm and colorful