Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 03:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wallace Hut - Suggestions
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Victorian High Country ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F13.5 

The colour photo was taken by a friend, the B+W edited by myself. My friend is technologically clueless to the point where they can't work out how to get the photo from the card, which is where generally I come in.

I am seeking critique on the colour version. I played around with it this afternoon and have attached my best effort to prompt some input. My friend would like to print it out and frame it and I think there is more than enough to work with to achieve this.

To add some context, Wallace Hut is located in the Victorian High Country, was built in 1889 and was used by roving cattlemen in the days before National Park restrictions came into force ~30years ago.

All thoughts welcome.

07-03-2015, 03:51 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
might just be my monitor but the colour version seems very dark to me?

There seems to be quite a lot of lost details in the shadows around the trees to the right and the front of the hut. Are you using PS/Lightroom or somethign similar? could do with a bit of healing tool to get rid of the dust/hairs that look like where sat on the lens

Compositions my weak point any way so i'm gonna gloss over that and say i like it

Personally i think i'd boost the greens a little to make the grass a bit more "greeny", and lift the exposure a little to lift the image, and bear in mind when you print it, it'll get even darker, so maybe go a little too far with exposure so it comes out of your printer how you want it, also i cant see a colour cast, but my monitor isn't calibrated so maybe somone else can comment on that?

Hopefully that tree to the left hasn't clipped too much into the dark so you can get some detail back.

Like the shot though, the colours in hut are nice, how did they shoot this? is it an HDR blend?

Last edited by Jonesi86; 07-03-2015 at 03:52 AM. Reason: forgot to say something
07-03-2015, 03:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
'fraid not. the colour image is an off camera jpeg and that's all I've got to work with.
07-03-2015, 04:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What I've don here is move the levels slider to bring up the colour without blowing ou the high lights, and did a light boost to the reds and greens for both saturation and luminance, I boosted the shadow a bit, as much as I could without them looking really sloppy, shadow detail and jpeg is just a no go.

This was like a minute work. It took longer to post thit than it did to make the changes.

07-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone mentioned composition, The hut is fine, the background is fine but the foreground is just too messy. I prefer the crop in your B/W. That hole in the ground is really horrible. Cutting it out unfortunately leaves the pile of sticks growing out of the bottom of the frame. I am not sure the lighting is quite in the right direction. I would much prefer the front of the hut to be illuminated. There a many images of the hut on google but very few have good light on this end of the structure. Perhaps the alignment is just not suitable. You would reckon they would build these huts with us in mind.

I reckon Normhead is on the right track with the levels. I got it to around the same stage as his edit with some boost to levels in the mid range followed by brightness and contrast adjustments. Then I ran it through Topaz Clarity. I had the hut looking pretty crisp but generated a lot of purple fringe in the leaves which pretty much destroyed it.. With a full sized image it might have cleaned up a bit better.

You probably already noticed a few dust spots here and there.

Have you considered a sepia treatment?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
07-03-2015, 05:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What jumped out at me was that the ancient old trees said as much about the site as the shack.
So I brought up the low and low-mid range a bit to give the trees more bling.
Sorry but the Pentax site always changes my up load work a little from what looks fine in Photoshop but you get the idea.

Last edited by wildman; 07-07-2015 at 12:49 PM.
07-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I might print your examples off to see what she prefers. I hadn't considered sepia.

I have a separate favour going on cleaning up to 100+ other images of dust spots and hairs with LR5 for her. As soon as I got my hands on the body I was able to clean the sensor with a rocket blower, but there was a lot of dust in there!

07-04-2015, 04:22 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

In my very humble opinion, cropping a bit from the bottom, as the original poster did in the b/w version and some others also did -- is by itself a significant improvement.
The various versions are nice work.