Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Emotional Portrait Study
Lens: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Camera: Pentax k-3 Photo Location: Tulsa, OK ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F4 

I have long been fascinated by dramatic portraiture. Seeing a person's image of when the are at a vulnerable or fragile place is so powerful to me. So I hope to create an exhibition featuring dramatic portraiture.

This is a self portrait. I have had many chronic illnesses and problems in my short time on this planet. I am always tired and hurt in my nerves and muscles, and despite showing a happy demeanor 99% of the time. When I drop my guard I really feel down and isolated.

Out of the 49 photos taken of myself. This one really captured my fatigue and isolation....at least I think so. What are your thoughts friends?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In need of being around people where you can drop your guard and be yourself. Wanting to be accepted for who you are and not who you pretend to be. Your eyes seem to be searching for answers, maybe you've been searching in the wrong places. I see a person who wants to love and be loved, able to relax and pursue your passion. I see enormous capability for fulfillment with people and those dreams if you dare to be yourself.
08-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
In need of being around people where you can drop your guard and be yourself. Wanting to be accepted for who you are and not who you pretend to be. Your eyes seem to be searching for answers, maybe you've been searching in the wrong places. I see a person who wants to love and be loved, able to relax and pursue your passion. I see enormous capability for fulfillment with people and those dreams if you dare to be yourself.
Thank you. I appreciate your encouragement.
09-01-2015, 02:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You said you wanted to capture your fatigue and isolation and this photo certainly conveys that. In addition to the composition, the lighting and use of B&W are very good.

I hope though the next shot will show a happier you.

Last edited by bladerunner6; 09-01-2015 at 03:04 AM.
09-01-2015, 03:02 AM   #5

i think you are successful at transporting the feeling you wanted the picture to have. that's hard to do, and you did it well.
however, imho there are 3 things getting in the way between that feeling and the beholder:
- the glasses. they are crooked, and they hang a little low on your nose, so that the rim cuts trough your left iris. not sure, to some people that might add to the general brokenness, to some it might seem funny. to me it's irritating and funny. i would push the glasses up or lose them entirely.
- the black background combined with the ears - the way it is now, the ears are the place in the picture with the most contrast. contrast leads the eye. i can't help but look on your ears instead your eyes. the fact that the hair is hardly visible against the black background lets the ears stand out even further.
- the logo, also distracting in my opinion.

i hope this helps. good work, keep us informed about your future projects
bromberger
09-01-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ImageCircle Quote
Emotional Portrait Study
An interesting commentary on how you envisage yourself to be... for me this a fine serious piece of portraiture.

I think it could be made even more powerful by increasing the contrast, reducing the exposure, a bit of burn and dodge and a slight crop, I have quickly (30 seconds) tweaked your image a bit to show what I mean.

Maybe not for you, but that's what makes photography an art form as we all view things differently.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-01-2015 at 06:56 AM.