Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

Daughter on park bench
Lens: 40mm xs Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Park ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F3.2 

Hello. So here are my amateur thoughts.

I am wondering if this picture is sharp enough? I sharpen the image a little in picasa. I thought about using f8 but i chose f3.2 to get some background blur. It was around 1pm.

Last edited by nabwong; 11-25-2015 at 07:19 PM.
11-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It certainly is sharp enough for me. A good choice to blur the background.
11-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think it's sharp enough, too. The bigger problem is the bright background. It doesn't fit the intentions of the pic, I think.
11-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I think it's sharp enough, too. The bigger problem is the bright background. It doesn't fit the intentions of the pic, I think.
Interesting. You're right. Do you think this is something for pp or I have to wait for an overcast day or come back at another time?

11-27-2015, 05:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
Do you think this is something for pp or I have to wait for an overcast day or come back at another time?

Any or all of the above. lol You could probably help your original shot by trying to tame down the background a bit in PP. And overcast day would work, too, because then your foreground and background will be more closely lit the same. Or you could come back at a different time when perhaps the street in the background is also in shade. I love the colors in your original pic, though.
11-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is a very nice shot. Could not resist playing with it. I hope you do not mind. Burned in the background and dogged her face somewhat. The second is a heavy vignette.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo   

Last edited by Rimfiredude; 11-27-2015 at 01:08 PM.
11-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi Rimfiredude.

No problem at all. I'm thankful you took the time to play with it. Just a couple of questions. What do you mean by burned in, and also dogged. The face looks more highlighted. I like the vignette but I wonder if the vignette makes the background even brighter? Thanks for your help. I'm learning so much.

11-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think your shot is focused right where it should be. The bright background doesn't bother me as the color/contrast of your daughters jacket and the bench draw my eye right to her.
11-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

...burned in, and also dogged.
Dodge (not dogged) and burn (in) are darkroom techniques to lighten or darken portions of an image.

I'd reshoot it on another day with better light. Maybe some eye contact, and a less lumpy jacket :-)
11-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Rimfiredude.

No problem at all. I'm thankful you took the time to play with it. Just a couple of questions. What do you mean by burned in, and also dogged. The face looks more highlighted. I like the vignette but I wonder if the vignette makes the background even brighter? Thanks for your help. I'm learning so much.
Burning In and Dodging are old terms from the days of making prints with an enlarger. Now they are tools in Photoshop than let you darken or lighten selected areas. The online tools are helpful but my favorite program is SilkyPix 6.
11-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks. I've never heard of that software. Will check it out. I've just been using picasa. I have not used any form of noise removal and all that. My software skills at this moment is limited.