Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #1

Sunrise over Portland
Lens: Pentax HD Ltd. 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Camera: Pentax K5IIs Photo Location: Portland, OR ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F7.1 

I got up early today and head out to Pittock Mansion overlooking Portland and Mount Hood to try and capture a sunrise (and possibly work on a time-lapse - still work in progress).
This is my favorite shot of the very cold morning. Let me know what you think.

11-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
I got up early today and head out to Pittock Mansion overlooking Portland and Mount Hood to try and capture a sunrise (and possibly work on a time-lapse - still work in progress).
This is my favorite shot of the very cold morning. Let me know what you think.
I think it looks beautiful. Portland is a very pretty city and night scenes are even more spectacular. This appears to have been taken from Washington Park. If you haven't already, the Japanese Gardens in Washington Park is a very scenic area just begging to be photographed. I do like this shot you have posted, because it not only shows the city of Portland, Oregon, but also Mt. Hood in the background. Great work and thanks for a very nice photo to view.

Rgds,

Tonytee
11-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I think it looks beautiful. Portland is a very pretty city and night scenes are even more spectacular. This appears to have been taken from Washington Park. If you haven't already, the Japanese Gardens in Washington Park is a very scenic area just begging to be photographed. I do like this shot you have posted, because it not only shows the city of Portland, Oregon, but also Mt. Hood in the background. Great work and thanks for a very nice photo to view.

Rgds,

Tonytee
Thank you! Portland truly is beautiful and with the Mount Hood in the background offers some very scenic views. This one is taken from Pittock Mansion not from Washington Park but they're quite close to each other (Pittock Mansion is higher so it offers better less obstructed view).
11-30-2015, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice! You did a great job capturing the early morning perspective. I like the colors and, since you asked, might consider lightening the shadows just a tad.

My hat is off to you for getting out in our unseasonably freezing weather. I thought to do the same, but decided to stay under the warm covers.

Love the Pittock Mansion location. I took my lunar eclipse shots there. Btw, was the gate open early for you this morning? Or, did you have to climb around?

11-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Very nice! You did a great job capturing the early morning perspective. I like the colors and, since you asked, might consider lightening the shadows just a tad.

My hat is off to you for getting out in our unseasonably freezing weather. I thought to do the same, but decided to stay under the warm covers.

Love the Pittock Mansion location. I took my lunar eclipse shots there. Btw, was the gate open early for you this morning? Or, did you have to climb around?
Thank you! The gate was open so I could park very close to the mansion. I did push the shadows considerably already I can try to see if I can go further without making it look to "flat".
11-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
Thank you! The gate was open so I could park very close to the mansion. I did push the shadows considerably already I can try to see if I can go further without making it look to "flat".
Ahh, the joys of early morning darkness! Well, my monitor could be a little off, too.

Glad to hear about the gate. I didn't want to have to trudge all the way up the hill.
11-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Is the sun just out of frame to the right? My first reaction when I saw the picture was my eyes being led off the right side. There seems to be some leading lines heading ion that direction bouncing me out of the frame. I am not sure what could be done about this . My first thought was to re-position the frame a little in that direction, but if the sun is already above the horizon, that might not have worked.

All that to say, I like the shot. If you push the shadows anymore it is going to be hard to avoid looking flat. I would not bring them up anymore, but maybe boost contrast a tad.

11-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Is the sun just out of frame to the right? My first reaction when I saw the picture was my eyes being led off the right side. There seems to be some leading lines heading ion that direction bouncing me out of the frame. I am not sure what could be done about this . My first thought was to re-position the frame a little in that direction, but if the sun is already above the horizon, that might not have worked.

All that to say, I like the shot. If you push the shadows anymore it is going to be hard to avoid looking flat. I would not bring them up anymore, but maybe boost contrast a tad.
Thanks! Yes the sun was in the frame, this is actually a crop to remove the overwhelming sun to the right, some black foreground at the bottom and empty sky at the top. I loved the sun rays that were visible on the fog in the valley so that and the colors were my main focus points for this image, my lens was a little too wide though so the sun was also in the frame and it pulled the attention a little too much for me so I cropped it out.
11-30-2015, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think your shot is a real wall-hanger! Cropping the sun out was good, leaves it as just a hint outside the frame. Colors and shadows look perfect to me (onn my ipad screen).

Jim