Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jeeeeezzz, what a bunch of pansies!!!
Lens: Nikon 28~105mm D Lens Camera: Nikon D70 Photo Location: Sherwood, Oregon ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4.5 

At first glance through the viewfinder, I thought these were pretty enough to shoot. I now check out the results and admittedly I am a little disappointed. The Bokeh is not what I had hoped for. Overall, I do not believe that this is a good photograph. Please feel free to comment.

Many thanks,

Tony

Attached Images

02-09-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think the problem may be that there's more flowers out of focus than in focus. Maybe if you'd gone closer still, to isolate a single flower head, that would have mostly cropped out the others and made them even more OOF.
02-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I think the problem may be that there's more flowers out of focus than in focus. Maybe if you'd gone closer still, to isolate a single flower head, that would have mostly cropped out the others and made them even more OOF.
Got it. I see what you are saying. Thanks very much.

Tony
02-10-2016, 12:22 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A smaller aperture would have helped too. f8 or above.

02-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
A smaller aperture would have helped too. f8 or above.
Many thanks Photolady.

Tony
02-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Maybe try some experiments with different focal lengths and apertures to see what works for this kind of subject. Here's one at f2.8 with the DA50; I was specifically trying out what the results were like wide open.

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

I agree with Photolady that a smaller aperture would have helped with the photo as framed, but it would also have changed the bokeh a lot. So it depends on what you're looking for. I wanted to post a similar pic but the ones I have on Flickr are mostly taken with the DA*300.
02-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Maybe try some experiments with different focal lengths and apertures to see what works for this kind of subject. Here's one at f2.8 with the DA50; I was specifically trying out what the results were like wide open.

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

I agree with Photolady that a smaller aperture would have helped with the photo as framed, but it would also have changed the bokeh a lot. So it depends on what you're looking for. I wanted to post a similar pic but the ones I have on Flickr are mostly taken with the DA*300.
Absolutely beautiful photograph. As far as mine is concerned, what about stopping down one stop and use a slower shutter speed?

Many thanks,

Tony

02-13-2016, 01:47 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
IMO, the problem is not a lack of sharpness but a lack of bokeh. This is the kind of photograph I would take with a 50 mm lens at f2, having only the foreground petal of the foreground flower in focus. This is what you did but at f4.5, the bokeh is too light. Another issue is the central position of the foreground flower. It would look nicer if it was slightly shifted on one side.
02-13-2016, 01:55 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Absolutely beautiful photograph. As far as mine is concerned, what about stopping down one stop and use a slower shutter speed?
Thanks! If you wanted to keep the framing the same, I think you'd need to use a much smaller aperture, as Photolady suggested.

QuoteOriginally posted by fg-one Quote
IMO, the problem is not a lack of sharpness but a lack of bokeh. This is the kind of photograph I would take with a 50 mm lens at f2, having only the foreground petal of the foreground flower in focus. This is what you did but at f4.5, the bokeh is too light. Another issue is the central position of the foreground flower. It would look nicer if it was slightly shifted on one side.
I don't know the lens in question, but 4.5 may be wide open already - however I agree with you, because that was my original suggestion of isolating one flower head; doing so would reduce the depth of field at the same f-stop and make the bokeh more out of focus.
02-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
The Bokeh is not what I had hoped for.
What were you hoping it would look like?

For me, the greyish background is rather dull. I would have aimed for something darker, which would set the cyclamen blooms off with their white edges, or something brighter and cheery.

I may also have pruned (or recomposed to avoid) that deep blue/purplish mass on the right edge, as well as that little pink bit in the bottom right corner. The rest of the image is pretty clean (nothing but this flower and it's foliage) so the odd little stray bits can really stand out. I'm also not big on the left edge of the frame just touching that back flower petal- I'd either give it more room or crop with conviction. I don't mind the lead flower located in the centre, but it may have been a more dynamic composition if you had moved the camera a few inches to the right to get those trailing flowers leading in at more of an angle.

Beautifully bright subject, and you've done very well to capture the pink and red tones without nuking any colours.
02-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
What were you hoping it would look like?

For me, the greyish background is rather dull. I would have aimed for something darker, which would set the cyclamen blooms off with their white edges, or something brighter and cheery.

I may also have pruned (or recomposed to avoid) that deep blue/purplish mass on the right edge, as well as that little pink bit in the bottom right corner. The rest of the image is pretty clean (nothing but this flower and it's foliage) so the odd little stray bits can really stand out. I'm also not big on the left edge of the frame just touching that back flower petal- I'd either give it more room or crop with conviction. I don't mind the lead flower located in the centre, but it may have been a more dynamic composition if you had moved the camera a few inches to the right to get those trailing flowers leading in at more of an angle.

Beautifully bright subject, and you've done very well to capture the pink and red tones without nuking any colours.
Thanks BrianR, I really appreciate your excellent commentary and suggestions. What I was hoping for was to capture the flowers in the front and to blur the ones in the background by adjusting settings. Well, after all, I do not regret uploading the photo as I have received very useful information. Many thanks to everyone.

Tony