Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
1991; 1927.
Lens: SMC-M 50mm f1.7 Camera: Pentax ME Photo Location: Colombo, Sri Lanka ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F16 

Second roll of film ever on my Pentax. Cool cars, cool buildings. Buttloads of light leaks though.

Attached Images

04-29-2016, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That Pentax ME was a workhorse of a camera. I know I certainly miss mine a lot. I do not see any light leaks anywhere. The photo could use a little straightening and also less lawn in the front. Just need to do a bit more cropping. Interesting that at 1 /1000s and f/16 you took in so much light. Perhaps your film speed at ISO 200 might be a little too slow for the conditions. Hard to say, but a darn good effort and thanks for sharing.

Tonytee
04-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
That Pentax ME was a workhorse of a camera. I know I certainly miss mine a lot. I do not see any light leaks anywhere. The photo could use a little straightening and also less lawn in the front. Just need to do a bit more cropping. Interesting that at 1 /1000s and f/16 you took in so much light. Perhaps your film speed at ISO 200 might be a little too slow for the conditions. Hard to say, but a darn good effort and thanks for sharing.

Tonytee
Thenks m8
05-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentytaxy Quote
Buttloads of light leaks though
Must be a technical lighting term that I'm not familiar with.

05-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
:3 Entire light seals are missing in some places. Colors look very washed out ,straight outta the scanner.
05-01-2016, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Quite like it washed out though!
05-08-2016, 01:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Must be a technical lighting term that I'm not familiar with.
Obviously, you do not speak Texan. ))

05-08-2016, 01:38 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Obviously, you do not speak Texan
Nor does the OP as they are from Sri Lanka.
05-10-2016, 12:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thenks m8
The other thought I am having is, do you have to contend with atmospheric haze in your part of the world? It certainly appears that way. Well, you have some important choices available. (1) Try a faster film, I would go right to Kodak Max at ISO 800. (2) You might consider getting a CPL, Circular Polarizing Lens (filter) (3) Think about going over to digital photography as it is easier to correct issues even with some free post photo editing software. Do not get discouraged as this is only your second time out shooting. Again for an early beginning you made a darn good effort here.

Cheers,

Tonytee
05-11-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Original Poster
The other thought I am having is, do you have to contend with atmospheric haze in your part of the world? It certainly appears that way. Well, you have some important choices available. (1) Try a faster film, I would go right to Kodak Max at ISO 800. (2) You might consider getting a CPL, Circular Polarizing Lens (filter) (3) Think about going over to digital photography as it is easier to correct issues even with some free post photo editing software. Do not get discouraged as this is only your second time out shooting. Again for an early beginning you made a darn good effort here.

Cheers,

Tonytee
Atmospheric haze? Nothing like that here. I think an evened-out light leak affects it. I'll get that fast film asap, along with a CPL. Oh Lord no, not digital. I like film. Thank you, again!
05-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #11

I think architecture is a difficult subject to make interesting: What to focus on? What kind of light? Which lens to use?
05-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Nor does the OP as they are from Sri Lanka.
My experience as a film photographer regarding light leaks was to notice a straight, vertical ray of light coming in and washing out the frame. I have never noticed a type of bleaching affect such as this photograph. It would be interesting to learn exactly the source of this type of affect. What are your thoughts, sir?

Thanks,

Antonio

---------- Post added 05-13-16 at 06:41 PM ----------

Atmospheric haze? Nothing like that here. I think an evened-out light leak affects it. I'll get that fast film asap, along with a CPL. Oh Lord no, not digital. I like film. Thank you, again!
Oh, Lord no, not digital. To be honest with you, those were my famous last words. Now I kick myself almost on a daily basis, just because I didn't do it sooner.

Regards,

Antonio
05-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hahaha! My friends keep trying to convince me to go digital. I just might, in a year or two! Film is getting expensive.
05-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hahaha! My friends keep trying to convince me to go digital. I just might, in a year or two! Film is getting expensive.
You will have more enjoyment out of your work. You will also have more control in designing your photos the way you want them to look. Also, it is very educational and rewarding. The other reward will be the amount of money you will save. In digital you shoot 100 photos and then can delete the ones you are not happy with, and the bonus is, no cost to you.

Rgds,

Antonio