Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Fire In The Sky
Lens: Pentax Da 18-55 Camera: K200D Photo Location: Hilton Head SC ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F8 

Any ideas how I could have improved on this shot.

Last edited by fstopfanatic; 07-27-2016 at 11:39 AM.
05-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a dark and moody almost abstract image. Not a lot of room for improvement. Perhaps a little brightening up of the splash of colour in the foreground, perhaps a light crop particularly on the left and maybe a little off the bottom but then again it is very subjective. I would be interesting to see how it prints. In the right frame in the right place it could be spectacular.
05-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really think it would be better if the foreground was a little brighter. Either shooting with multiple exposures and blending them in post, or using a GND might help bring the foreground up while keeping the color in the sky.
05-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies and insight. I did darken the original photo PP. Maybe I went a little to dark. I liked the dramatic effect when I darkened the photo, but like I said maybe I over did it.

05-31-2016, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I tweeked it just a tad.

Last edited by fstopfanatic; 07-27-2016 at 11:39 AM.
07-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Much better after the Tweak !
I would do a slight crop to the bottom as I want a larger Sky area.
Looks Good at any Rate.
07-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Much better after the Tweak !
I would do a slight crop to the bottom as I want a larger Sky area.
Looks Good at any Rate.
I may try it by lopping off half the sea in front. Horizons in the middle of an image are always hard to pull off.

07-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Try cropping the center section....shifted to the left.
07-07-2016, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I would be interesting to see how it prints.
In my experience with printing it would not print very well. There would be a massive amount of ink overload. While an image like this one can still look acceptable on screen it won't look good when printed. The reason ?

A screen displays Additive colour which is Red, Green and Blue (RGB) and only works with devices that radiate or emit light. Such as your screen.

Printing however uses Subtractive colour where inks such as Cyan, Magenta and Yellow are used. Subtractive colour works on the basis of reflected light. (Mixing of the different pigments of ink subtract (absorb) different wavelengths of light.)

Overlaying these three inks in equal amounts will result in black being reflected, however this will not result in a really deep satisfying black, it most likely will result in a muddy brownish colour and 100% of the three inks in one spot would be a lot of ink and cause problems. For this reason C M Y ink is reduced (or removed) and replaced with black ink. (again - CMYK) This then is the the method used in "Offset" printing (Which produced a very limited colour gamut)

Inkjet printers (or stochastic printers) are working on the same subtractive colour principal as above and convert the screen's RGB to be represented in CMYK colour inks which are then sprayed on to the medium.

In this case here there would be just too much ink of everything and the image would look dull, flat and dark with very little detail. Of course it would also depend greatly on the medium it is printed on but generally speaking it would be a challenge to come up with something appealing.

Cheers
07-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
In my experience with printing it would not print very well. There would be a massive amount of ink overload. While an image like this one can still look acceptable on screen it won't look good when printed. The reason ?

A screen displays Additive colour which is Red, Green and Blue (RGB) and only works with devices that radiate or emit light. Such as your screen.

Printing however uses Subtractive colour where inks such as Cyan, Magenta and Yellow are used. Subtractive colour works on the basis of reflected light. (Mixing of the different pigments of ink subtract (absorb) different wavelengths of light.)

Overlaying these three inks in equal amounts will result in black being reflected, however this will not result in a really deep satisfying black, it most likely will result in a muddy brownish colour and 100% of the three inks in one spot would be a lot of ink and cause problems. For this reason C M Y ink is reduced (or removed) and replaced with black ink. (again - CMYK) This then is the the method used in "Offset" printing (Which produced a very limited colour gamut)

Inkjet printers (or stochastic printers) are working on the same subtractive colour principal as above and convert the screen's RGB to be represented in CMYK colour inks which are then sprayed on to the medium.

In this case here there would be just too much ink of everything and the image would look dull, flat and dark with very little detail. Of course it would also depend greatly on the medium it is printed on but generally speaking it would be a challenge to come up with something appealing.

Cheers

Very insightful info about printing photos such as this. I'll definitely remember the lesson learned here. Thanks for everyone sharing their knowledge.