Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was just playing in Photoshop Elements
Lens: Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED Camera: Pentax K-x Ver1.03 Photo Location: Kinzua Bridge, Ormsby, PA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

Yesterday my wife suggested we re-visit the Kinzua Bridge since we had not been there together for a few years, thought I had been with a couple motorcycle rides. While there, I took a photo which was dramatically over-exposed, then I corrected and took another better one. Today I was just experimenting with the over exposed one in PE-14 and obtained the result attached. The original is also attached for comparison. Just thought I'd post them here for comparison and any comments folks may wish to offer. To obtain the second photo, I first made two coppies from the original RAW file then closed the RAW one. Working with the second copy, I first used the exclusion blending change, then haze removal. This gave me a rather blue tinted image which I thought was okay, but I wanted to try more. So, I converted it to black and white. Next I dodged in over the lower portion with the tool at 300 pixels and 20% exposure extensively until I got some of the blue back. I then lowered the opacity to 90% and flattened the image.

Any comments and criticism, pro or con, is welcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you shoot the original overexposed shot in RAW? If you tried using the raw file editor in Photoshop to correct the exposure it would be interesting to see the results.
Does the recomposed properly exposed shot closely match the overexposed shot? If so have you tried to combine both files with Photoshop or using HDR Software to create a new HDR Photo from the photos.
10-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Did you shoot the original overexposed shot in RAW? If you tried using the raw file editor in Photoshop to correct the exposure it would be interesting to see the results. Does the recomposed properly exposed shot closely match the overexposed shot? If so have you tried to combine both files with Photoshop or using HDR Software to create a new HDR Photo from the photos.
The original was obtained in RAW and jpeg. I do not have Photoshop CS or HDR software, I have PS Elements 14 and am not aware of a "raw file editor" in Elements. Also, I do not know enough about Elements, never mind CS, to combine photos into HDR. I did make adjustments in exposure and re-took the photo which provided much better results and a clear photograph.
10-23-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
mee
Veteran Member

Elements contains a RAW image processor (Adobe Camera RAW [ACR for short]). It initiates as soon as you try to open a DNG while in PSE, you'll get an initial screen with a bunch of sliders. From there, you will have more control over under/over exposing the image. Once it is in JPG format (or beyond the ACR but inside of photoshop) you've lost a lot of control... unless you stack exposures as layers and use the masks for different levels of luminosity.

It would be useful to learn a bit about Photoshop in how to use layers and masks.

That said, our Pentax cameras handle underexposure much better than over. So it still might be too cooked.

10-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Elements contains a RAW image processor (Adobe Camera RAW [ACR for short]). It initiates as soon as you try to open a DNG while in PSE, you'll get an initial screen with a bunch of sliders. From there, you will have more control over under/over exposing the image.
Thanks for the quick lesson. I am a learner by doing and not by reading. I'll give that a look and a try to see what I can do.
10-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Elements contains a RAW image processor (Adobe Camera RAW [ACR for short]). It initiates as soon as you try to open a DNG while in PSE, you'll get an initial screen with a bunch of sliders. From there, you will have more control over under/over exposing the image. Once it is in JPG format (or beyond the ACR but inside of photoshop) you've lost a lot of control... unless you stack exposures as layers and use the masks for different levels of luminosity.

It would be useful to learn a bit about Photoshop in how to use layers and masks.

That said, our Pentax cameras handle underexposure much better than over. So it still might be too cooked.
The camera raw program will not only open just Adobe DNG files but will open Pentax PEF files as well and gives you the option of saving the original and or adjusted files as a DNG file