Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Nice spots to see in New England

I'll be travelling for a few days (about a week) in the US north east arriving and leaving through New York State. This will be a trip solely to take pictures and hiking.

I prefer landscapes and nature photography, although I'm not a big fan of birding and animal photography. I'm also a sucker for mountains. This is not my first trip in the area but I'd like to see if the "locals" have suggestions of nice places to see that may or may not be off the beaten path.

I am looking for anything, mountain views, waterfalls, marches, lighthouses, ocean views, cliffs, small and unique towns, beautiful forests, rivers, etc.

So, anywhere within New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT). Also, New York State, Pennsylvania and New Jersey could be a possibility. I don't mind driving (I actually love driving) and hikes up to 10 miles are fine.

Let's see what people have to suggest and I will build my itinerary based upon your suggestions. And please, try to be more specific than the Green Mountains or the Adirondacks.

Thanks for your help!

Francis

04-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You could do worse than this! Expect you'll receive lots of suggestions.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2783881
04-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Northwestern MA - the Berkshires. Mt. Greylock in Adams. Williamstown and Williams College, The Clark, Williams College Museum of Art. Hancock Shaker Village near Pittsfield/NY border. North a bit to Bennington, VT, Bennington Museum. Veer West to NY 22 North - a great country drive - , small towns Cambridge, Salem, Granville. Like to Camp? Consider Island Camping on Lake George - Northern part. (check out Reserve America for reservations - recommend the Narrow Island camping area - NARROW ISLAND (LAKE GEORGE IS), NY - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [NY]) North on 22 to Ticonderoga and the restored Fort. Want shoreside Lake George camping? Rodger's Rock campsite outside Hague, NY.

Like what you see? - North again toward Burlington, VT, Shelburne Museum and Shelburne Farms. Lake Champlain Ferrys. Montreal and Quebec City for a change of pace. Lots of nice driving...

Lots of websites about the area.

UPDATE: Coming in at Ogdensburg also opens up easily the Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake, Lake Placid area. (Others comment on specifics). Work your way South past Lake George Village or Ticonderoga and then over to VT and MA...

Last edited by cahudson42; 04-20-2014 at 03:40 PM.
04-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What route are you entering NY State from? If you enter via the Niagara Falls side, route your way through the Finger Lakes region to Ithaca, NY. The area around Ithaca has many, many waterfalls. You can then proceed ESE towards New Paltz to hike Minnewaska State Park Preserve (in Kerhonksen). 60 foot waterfall near the lower parking lot, 3 mountain top lakes nearer the top parking lot. There's also hiking at Mohonk Preserve and Mohonk Mountain House. After that continue on to New England. On your way back home through New York, pick a northerly route to see the Adirondacks (I'll leave it to others to recommend spots there).

I'll be watching this thread closely. I bought an RV van last summer and have been visiting scenic areas in NY, PA, and New England.

PA has a great place if you like astronomy. Cherry Springs State Park. No bright lights allowed at night in order to preserve night vision. Cars have to park in a lot across the street or wait until the next day to depart.

04-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
What route are you entering NY State from?
I was thinking Prescott/Ogdensburg, but Niagara is always a possibility and coming from northern ontario, it isn't much of a detour. I usually stay away from that border crossing because it is usually stupidly busy. Ithaca looks very promising area though.