Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #1

Coming from Phase One - need advice

Hi all,

This is my first post here.

I'm currently using a Phase One system, but miss the ability to go higher than the ultra low iso a Phase Back imposes to get good material. This is why I'm seriously looking into the new 645Z.

What are my tilt-shift options with Pentax, both in-house and third party? I'm aware of the Hartblei 45mm, is there anyting wider however?

Ciao from Italy.
Enrico.

04-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Hartblei is the only T/S for Pentax 645 that I know of.
04-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

Tilt-shift is a significant hole in the Pentax lens lineup. There is no native 645 tilt-shift glass from Pentax, and very few 3rd-party options. The ones that do exist are either of only moderate quality (Hartblei) or moderate convenience (3rd-party adapter to take Pentax 67 glass). There are no options wider than 45mm that I know of.

If this type of optic is critical for your work (e.g. architecture) then as good as the Pentax 645 system is with the new Z, it may not be the system for you. And I say that as somebody who has used the 645D since it first became officially available in Canada in late 2010, and loves it. But I do dearly miss tilt-shift for landscape and architecture work. I get around the lack (mostly) with digital processing techniques but I'd by far prefer a great 35mm tilt-shift lens.

Of course, as a Phase owner currently, you do have the option of their new IQ250. It won't have the same upper limit on ISO as the 645Z can do in-camera. But since the sensor is theoretically the same in both the 645Z and IQ250, you should have better high ISO performance on the IQ250 than most other Phase CCD-based backs. And you can probably simulate much of what the 645Z is doing for its astronomical ISO values (above 6400) by underexposing on the IQ250 and then pushing exposure in RAW development.

Last edited by Royce Howland; 04-16-2014 at 02:31 PM.
04-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax 645Z has it's advantages, but not necessarily for you. However, staying with Phase One may cost you more

The IQ250 back may be the answer if your lens setup is already complete. I don't know if you actually want to trade in a nice CCD back, though!

But if you can deal with the limitations of the 645Z (plus its advantages) you can get a complete kit with lenses and accessories (even if buying the lenses new) that an outright purchase of the IQ250 back alone.

04-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tilt options are more limited than shift. I have a shift adapter that allows use of Pentax 6x7 lenses with shift on a Pentax 645 body.

QuoteOriginally posted by QuagliaE Quote
Hi all,

This is my first post here.

I'm currently using a Phase One system, but miss the ability to go higher than the ultra low iso a Phase Back imposes to get good material. This is why I'm seriously looking into the new 645Z.

What are my tilt-shift options with Pentax, both in-house and third party? I'm aware of the Hartblei 45mm, is there anyting wider however?

Ciao from Italy.
Enrico.