Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 12:18 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
P67 + Reverse Adapter

Anyone have any experience with the 105 f/2.4 + reverse adapter? Example images?

Would the DoF be really small making it almost pointless ?

09-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have never used the 105 reversed but have used it a lot for macro work. Given its nearly symmetrical cross section, I have my doubts about it having much of a benefit being reversed. I now use my 90-180 zoom for macro work because it gives me the option of smaller stops.
09-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used the 105/2.4 reversed, but I've used the older 90/2.8 reversed.
DoF is really thin, you need to set the lens to f/16 or f/22.
I've been pretty happy with the results that I've got so far.
It's definitely not pointless. The original manual for the 67 ext. tube points out that it is better to reverse a lens than to stack all three tubes.

---------- Post added 09-18-2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

This was shot with the 90/2.8 LS attached directly to 67 via reverse adapter (no helicoid tube. Film was RVP50

09-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
I have never used the 105 reversed but have used it a lot for macro work. Given its nearly symmetrical cross section, I have my doubts about it having much of a benefit being reversed. I now use my 90-180 zoom for macro work because it gives me the option of smaller stops.
The 105 with extension tubes? I just looked around on flickr and until now didn't know you could get that close with extension tubes. What # tubes do you find yourself using most ? I'm not looking to get super close, more for "detail" landscape shots.

---------- Post added 09-19-14 at 08:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I haven't used the 105/2.4 reversed, but I've used the older 90/2.8 reversed.
DoF is really thin, you need to set the lens to f/16 or f/22.
I've been pretty happy with the results that I've got so far.
It's definitely not pointless. The original manual for the 67 ext. tube points out that it is better to reverse a lens than to stack all three tubes.

---------- Post added 09-18-2014 at 04:12 PM ----------

This was shot with the 90/2.8 LS attached directly to 67 via reverse adapter (no helicoid tube. Film was RVP50

Nice image! I actually came across this while looking into reversed lenses on the P67 system. This and a few others made a very good case for reversing the 90mm. After looking at tubes, maybe that might be a better solution as I'm not looking to get as close as 3 tubes stacked, I'm almost doubtful I would go as close as a #3 tube.

09-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwatts Quote
Nice image! I actually came across this while looking into reversed lenses on the P67 system. This and a few others made a very good case for reversing the 90mm. After looking at tubes, maybe that might be a better solution as I'm not looking to get as close as 3 tubes stacked, I'm almost doubtful I would go as close as a #3 tube.
Reversing forces you to get very close, and severely limits your focus adjustment. The manual recommends using the Helicoid tube for focusing is you are using a reversed lens.
If you only need a #1, or #2, or #3 tube, that's probably a better way to go.
09-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jwatts Quote
The 105 with extension tubes? I just looked around on flickr and until now didn't know you could get that close with extension tubes. What # tubes do you find yourself using most ? I'm not looking to get super close, more for "detail" landscape shots.
The 105 does well with tubes for macro work. I use the Helicoid mostly but for closer work, I add the #2 tube as well. This focal length is somewhat limited, as there is not much working distance between lens and subject. I prefer the 150mm to 200 mm range for most of my work.
10-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your input! I picked up a set of extension tubes a few days ago. This evening I had some time to go out and lens around with them on a rocky beach close to my place. I found myself using mostly #1 and #2 tubes, paired with the 105 f/4. I was able to achieve the compositions I had in mind when looking into these tubes as a solution and am excited about the possibilities this opens up without adding much weight/space to my kit.

I didn't shoot anything today but Ill post up some examples when I get them.

10-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Heres a few shots from my test run with the extension tubes, the following are with the 105 f/2.4 + tube #2 on Ektar 100.

This image was shot at at more of an angle than directly over the subject, I shot it at f/22,
really happy with the depth of field I was able to achieve as well as sharpness.

This one was shot at f/5.6, I wanted to see what kind of DoF I'd be getting, pretty narrow as well as really hard to critically focus.
Ill probably stick to f/8 and above.

This is maxing out the macro capabilities of the #2 tube, the two larger rocks were approximately golf ball size.
10-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Some nice first attempts there. Keep in mind that your DOF is actually spherical, so if you are shooting flat subjects, the corners will be soft at wider stops. It turns out that very few macro lenses have a flat subject field.

You will probably run into instances where you require more DOF than the 105 can deliver, especially at higher magnification. The 165LS with its f/32 stop does well in macro work, as does the 90-180 zoom with its f/45.
10-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
I use the Helicoid mostly but for closer work
+1 Yes the Helicoid a godsend for macro work, especially when you reverse a lens.

My Xmas macro project this year is to use the 6x7 49mm reverse adapter and a 35mm Super Takumar 28/3.5.

Phil.
01-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had some time over the Christmas break to do some 6x7 macro work, using the 67mm & 49mm reverse adaptors. All shots are with Fuji Provia 400x slide film.

This first shot was taken with a 35mm Pentax K2 SLR using the K100/4 macro & 50mm extension tube.
This combo gives a maximum of 1x magnification and is for a base comparison.

This second shot was taken with a 67ii using a 67 75/2.8 reversed on the 67mm adaptor & the helicoid extension tube. Since this lens came out near the end of the Pentax 6x7 system, there is no info in the Pentax manuals using it reversed. My guess is that it would be about a third better than the 90/2.8, so between 1.75x and 2x magnification.

This third shot was taken with a 67ii using a 35mm Super Takumar 28/3.5 reversed on the 49mm adaptor & the helicoid extension tube. This combo will give you between 4.22x and 4.92x magnification.

So the end result is you can get more magnification using a 35mm lens than a 6x7 lens. There is a lot of light loss and exposure factor involved, so to make your life easier I recommend using:

- The 67ii body & AE metered prism, so you can use aperture priority and let them pick the shutter speed. Remember you have to set the lens auto/man DOF lever to the “MAN” position to get a correct meter reading.

- One of the 67ii “bright” telephoto/macro screens for easier focusing

- The 6x7 magnifier for critical focusing.

- Sturdy tripod, MLU and a cable release for the slower shutter speeds.

Phil.