Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 01:52 PM   #1

645Z - how to change focus area in MF

Just got my 645Z and currently playing with it before heading out to try a few actual landscape shots nearby
All of my lenses are Manual Focus lenses and when I read the manual ( page 45 ) it tells me that if I want to change the AF area, I should hold down the AF Area button while moving the dial
That isn't working for me and I can't figure out why not?
I want to be able to pick which part of the viewfinder is where I need to be in focus for the shot to work and that is why I want to be able to move between different focus points
If anybody understands my question and can tell me how to easily move between the different focus points in the viewfinder, it would be greatly appreciated
Thanks.

09-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing you read was likely referring to live view. To change viewfinder AF points, just press the AF area button once and the 4-way pad will change the AF point. Press the AF area button again to exit AF point selection mode. Your best manual focus aid, however, is live view magnification. I strongly recommend that you use that instead of the viewfinder to fine-tune the focus.

By the way, K-mount cameras only allow you to use the center focus point with manual (M & K) lenses. I'm not sure if the same applies to adapted 6x7 lenses on digital 645 bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your desire to move the AF point for manual focus lenses will not work. The AF points are for Auto Focus lenses only.

For manual focus lenses you ONLY have the centre point when looking through the view finder, but you can still use the focusing screen to focus on something off centre.

If you are using live view you can judge the focus on the live view screen.

Regards

Chris
09-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Your desire to move the AF point for manual focus lenses will not work. The AF points are for Auto Focus lenses only.

For manual focus lenses you ONLY have the centre point when looking through the view finder, but you can still use the focusing screen to focus on something off centre.

If you are using live view you can judge the focus on the live view screen.

Regards

Chris
Chris,
What you have posted accurately describes what I am experiencing - if I have this right - when using any Manual Focus 645 lens - there is no way to move the "focus point" anywhere off the center - is that correct?
Thanks,
Bob

09-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

Chris, Bob, forgive my ignorance and I'm sure I'm reading this wrong but surely if you have phase detection focus then the marching ants will show up? I also use an EM-1 and with it, the marching ants are essentially in a band that moves forwards and backwards as you move the focus ring.

I tried a 645Z yesterday, mine arrives tomorrow. I will say that the marching ants are very, let's say discreet! I had to zoom in to check focus with the 55.
09-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GarethC7 Quote
Chris, Bob, forgive my ignorance and I'm sure I'm reading this wrong but surely if you have phase detection focus then the marching ants will show up? I also use an EM-1 and with it, the marching ants are essentially in a band that moves forwards and backwards as you move the focus ring.

I tried a 645Z yesterday, mine arrives tomorrow. I will say that the marching ants are very, let's say discreet! I had to zoom in to check focus with the 55.
Hi Gareth,
How do I get to the marching ants?
Is it done through MENU?
Thanks,
Bob
09-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by uintaangler Quote
Hi Gareth,
How do I get to the marching ants?
Is it done through MENU?
Thanks,
Bob
Hi Bob

I didn't do it myself as it was a loaner from the dealer who showed up at my house with it but Reichman's review said it was a menu that you got to through the INFO button in shooting mode. I had my glasses on and I had trouble picking it up, it almost looked like the focus just snapped in.

Tomorrow I should find out as mine arrives then but certainly the test shots that I took last night suggest very strongly that this will be a very enjoyable tool. The files are magnficient.

09-23-2014, 08:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
Gareth,
I just read through all 5 pages of the review on Luminous Landscape and didn't see any reference to manual focusing
Please let me know if you can find your way back to the marching ants when you get your new camera.
Thanks.
09-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by uintaangler Quote
Gareth,
I just read through all 5 pages of the review on Luminous Landscape and didn't see any reference to manual focusing
Please let me know if you can find your way back to the marching ants when you get your new camera.
Thanks.
Go to the section titled separate AF and AE-L buttons, third paragraph, just above the bw picture of the swing. I was starting to think I was imagining focus peaking and the piece in the article