Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Peter Lik Shooting 645Z

I was just perusing new images on Peter Lik's website and noticed that he has new work shot with the Pentax 645Z. Say what you will about him, but as far as commercial success he's one of the more successful landscape photographers. I know he used to shoot large format film and then saw he had switched to Phase One. Well, some of his new work is with the Z.

Personally, I think much of his work is over processed (and overstated), but given his commercial success and access to any camera system he would want it does say something for Pentax.

10-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went to one of his galleries last weekend (in the Venetian in Las Vegas) and I'll say the images are quite impressive when viewed full scale in person vs their underwhelming presence online. BIG, colorful, usually bold images that are visually appealing to the masses. Some were mediocre, some were better, some were excellent. Makes me wish I had access to a 6x12 or 6x17 field camera and to play with my Yashica 124 to do some big enlargements. For his work, the easy use features of the 645z plus weather sealing on the body and lense makes a LOT of sense.
10-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's very interesting.
He certainly has a good commercial model.
I saw Pele's Whisper when it was first released. (look under "volcanoes" on his web site.) Impressive in person. It conveys a lot of energy.

I also saw a photo of Peter taking the photo. I don't think it was easy being in the right place at the right time.
10-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #4

I like his photos, but agree that some are better than others. Believe that they look better in "real life", sometimes difficult for a photo to "pop" online.

Also seems like Lik have good marketing skills, and know how to sell his photos.
Many good landscape photographers out there who struggle with getting their work known.

(A bit funny in a weird way, lik means corpse in Norwegian, so it was a bit strange to type in the address to his website, Peter Lik USA - Fine Art Photographer and Luxury Photography)

10-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the links. I'd never heard of him but, having now seen his website, I'd like to see his images in an exhibition.
10-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Big, bold and over the top colors sell to the general public. But they typically don't make it in National Geographic or museums. And so many think that this style is the apex of photography too
10-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Big, bold and over the top colors sell to the general public. But they typically don't make it in National Geographic or museums. And so many think that this style is the apex of photography too
Actually they all looked perfect when I put on my sunglasses. His tagline "when Velvia just isn't enough"

10-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Peter Lik's large scale Ilfochrome Classic pano prints (produced in Adelaide, South Australia by ChromaColour) coming off Velvia and generally satisfactory in terms of technical metrics and composition, were occasionally hit and miss, often resufacing again much later with a complete digital makeover. The proverbial "silk purse with a sow's ear", if you will. But his big pano prints did set a precedent here in Australia for others to follow, and Ken Duncan is another photographer working along the same hyper-enriched and emboldened palette, albeit with the addition of tedious religious overtures on each and every print.

Except for a Linhof pano camera, Lik's equipment was always acquired on a novated lease, never purchased outright. That way he upgraded (as if that is ever necessary) at term-end.
10-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

His work is a superb example of the difference between stuff that sells and sells and stuff that .....well, is only going to be appreciated by a narrower market---if then! Look, some of his images truly are arresting. And in a media saturated world that's something that helps set them apart, along with very savvy business sense and what appears to be a good deal of hard work and commitment. He's got stones.

But he's no Eliot Porter....but then Porter (and his brother, Fairfield) are excellent examples of slow burn, where subtlety and quiet are everything. The difficulty here is that one wonders if nowadays such artists would even be appreciated in high art circles, if they were newcomers.

Ours is not an age of subtleties....
10-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #10

We've all been guilty of punching up our images.
10-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Here in the States, Lik had his own TV show, sponsored by the Weather Channel. That didn't hurt his business at all. He is quite the character. He's the Steve Irwin of the photo world, in that he is ultra enthusiastic. I've got to respect any landscape photographer that has made the kind of money he has.
10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

When it comes to earnings from his images I think you will find that he is in a group of one. Very wealthy man, but very hard working like all successful people.
10-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He needs to work more on composition....
10-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #14

after having perused some of those Vegas galleries, I came to the conclusion my Saturation slider was not being used enough. And it wasn't just there but some of the Utah galleries as well.
10-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #15

It's widely known that Peter Lik has a team that does EXTENSIVE retouching on a lot of his images. Nothing wrong with that, it's part of the product.

Yes some images are impossible to make because he has moved the landscape a bit in post to suit him.

But most are the real deal and his work is consistently very very good.

Rodney Lough Jr. is more old school in that he does most if not all the work himself and is quite true to reality. He makes some absolutely stunning prints that take scrutiny even with a microscope. Also a must see gallery if you are in the area of one.