Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #1

645Z Newbie Questions on Shoe Mount Flash & Software

Hi all,

Just ordered the 645Z. Just wondering if any of you use shoe mount flash on the Z such as the AF 540 FGZ II or others? Can you please provide comments on your experience especially with high speed sync?

Also, I am also a Canon user. Just love to use the Canon Digital Professional Photography (DPP) that comes free with the camera. Does Pentax have a software just as good? If Pentax doesn't, Lightroom is a good alternative. Thanks a lot.

Samm

11-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax processing software, Digital Camera Utility 5, is based on Silkypix and it's not bad.
11-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks LensBeginner for the quick reply. Do you know if it has lens profiles for distortion or CA etc....? Can we fix distortion manually? What about crop, and rotate, etc.....? Is the Color any better than LR?
11-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've never used it... I've heard that it mimicks the in-camera settings regarding saturation, sharpness etc. quite well, reading the settings used from the EXIF.
Color I've heard people praising LR, other saying DXO is better and others loving Silkypix.

If I were you I'd also try RawTherapee, which can use the Adobe lens profiles (which you can download for free) and is open source. It also has some nifty features like a huge quantity of film simulation effects. Maybe you're not interested in those, but applying one dialed way down can quickly give you a subtle "look" that it would take time to achieve using the HSL or the curves panel in LR/PS.

11-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I've never used it... I've heard that it mimicks the in-camera settings regarding saturation, sharpness etc. quite well, reading the settings used from the EXIF.
Color I've heard people praising LR, other saying DXO is better and others loving Silkypix.

If I were you I'd also try RawTherapee, which can use the Adobe lens profiles (which you can download for free) and is open source. It also has some nifty features like a huge quantity of film simulation effects. Maybe you're not interested in those, but applying one dialed way down can quickly give you a subtle "look" that it would take time to achieve using the HSL or the curves panel in LR/PS.
Thanks for introducing RawTherapee. If I don't use Silkypix, I might just use LR as Adobe seems to be big enough to be able to last for a long time, and it may be the most popular program for its very purpose.
11-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samm Quote
Thanks for introducing RawTherapee. If I don't use Silkypix, I might just use LR as Adobe seems to be big enough to be able to last for a long time, and it may be the most popular program for its very purpose.
It's a very capable piece of software for sure.
It covers almost every need of your photographic workflow, from organizing & tagging to printing and exporting.
It has very nice RAW development features, though nothing stands out particularly (other specialized softwares can do single things better, from NR to enlargment, but no one can do everything that good).
Only concern would be if they move LR to a subscription model as well since you'll likely need new versions of the software to support newer cameras.
11-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all,

Just ordered the 645Z. Just wondering if any of you use shoe mount flash on the Z such as the AF 540 FGZ II or others? Can you please provide comments on your experience especially with high speed sync?
I just got one today for a pretty decent price off Amazon---$239 I think. Pretty sure HSS won't work with the Z, but I'll be finding out in the next several days. I am reading the manual, and there are several caveats for Z users, which maybe I'll post in the reviews section for this flash. I'd say that at the price I paid, it's maybe worth it for the Z, but I wouldn't pay more. There are other options.

11-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I just got one today for a pretty decent price off Amazon---$239 I think. Pretty sure HSS won't work with the Z, but I'll be finding out in the next several days. I am reading the manual, and there are several caveats for Z users, which maybe I'll post in the reviews section for this flash. I'd say that at the price I paid, it's maybe worth it for the Z, but I wouldn't pay more. There are other options.
I just got it from Amazon last week. I tested HSS with the K3 and it worked so I wouldn't be surprised if it worked with the Z. I haven't tried it on my D. However, better results can be obtained employing it off camera. I don't know whether the D/Z can wirelessly fire the flash like the K3.
11-26-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hey Guys, what flash did you just buy for only $239? Can you please provide links? I think the AF540 FGZ II costs around US$500...... Please also let me know about HSS. Thx much.
11-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I just got it from Amazon last week. I tested HSS with the K3 and it worked so I wouldn't be surprised if it worked with the Z. I haven't tried it on my D. However, better results can be obtained employing it off camera. I don't know whether the D/Z can wirelessly fire the flash like the K3.
You'll need another P-TTL flash on the camera. The Pentax flashes are triggered by a pre-exposure flash burst instead of a radio signal.
11-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #11

Original Poster
I am looking for shoe mount flash as I already have a set of Profoto.
11-26-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I am looking for shoe mount flash as I already have a set of Profoto.
Wow, sorry. This is the second time in 3 days I've missed a crucial bit of the OP. I got the 540 FGZ, not the II. I think the II does do HSS with the Z. I didn't want to spend the money to get the II, when there may be other options that would serve me better. But what I spent for the 540 FGZ seemed ok to at least have a Pentax flash....
11-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Wow, sorry. This is the second time in 3 days I've missed a crucial bit of the OP. I got the 540 FGZ, not the II. I think the II does do HSS with the Z. I didn't want to spend the money to get the II, when there may be other options that would serve me better. But what I spent for the 540 FGZ seemed ok to at least have a Pentax flash....
No worries Texandrews. Please do let us know if HSS works on the Z with your flash though. Thank you and have a nice evening.
11-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
No worries Texandrews. Please do let us know if HSS works on the Z with your flash though. Thank you and have a nice evening.
The flash search is over, at least temporarily. Bought AF 540 FGZ II from Adorama on Black Friday sale with the Pentax TR Power Pack III.