Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2014, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax 645z + MiniTT1 / FlexTT5 Pocket Wizard Troubleshooting

Happy Holi-daze everyone!

Quick question, I know that the manual says that the maximum flash sync speed of this camera is 1/125 of second.

I recently tried shooting with the 645z using my Elinchrom Ranger Quadra lights with a MiniTT1 + FlexTT5 Pocket Wizard combo and the max speed I could sync was 1/80 before it produced black banding on the bottom half of the image.

Normally with my Nikon D4 or D800 setup, it's a non-issue at 1/250.

Can anyone shed some light as to why this might be happening with 645z/Elinchrom Ranger Quadra/MiniTT1 + FlexTT5 Pocket Wizard combo?

Is it lens dependent? I was shooting with an FA 645 35mm.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

12-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I doubt very much is lens dependant. It is probably more like the Pocketwizzard was not designed to work with this camera, and have very specific programming to work with Canon and Nikon. I think you should contact Pocketwizzard support, they are pretty fast and awesome responding.

---------- Post added 12-27-14 at 09:30 AM ----------

Pocketwizzard have a great high speed sync option that it is engaged automatically with compatible cameras, but I doubt the Pentax can engage that mode, probably the only thing that is receiving is the shutter trigger, and those are probably expecting to have the whole TTL thing and that will not happen with his camera unless they come with a firmware for it.
12-27-2014, 09:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
Victor thank you. I will reach out to Pocket Wizard and see if they can provide any insight I'll report back here as there's very little information out there with regards to PW's and this camera.

Thanks again!

QuoteOriginally posted by Victor Wolansky Quote
I doubt very much is lens dependant. It is probably more like the Pocketwizzard was not designed to work with this camera, and have very specific programming to work with Canon and Nikon. I think you should contact Pocketwizzard support, they are pretty fast and awesome responding.

---------- Post added 12-27-14 at 09:30 AM ----------

Pocketwizzard have a great high speed sync option that it is engaged automatically with compatible cameras, but I doubt the Pentax can engage that mode, probably the only thing that is receiving is the shutter trigger, and those are probably expecting to have the whole TTL thing and that will not happen with his camera unless they come with a firmware for it.
12-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by r2studios Quote
Victor thank you. I will reach out to Pocket Wizard and see if they can provide any insight I'll report back here as there's very little information out there with regards to PW's and this camera.

Thanks again!
I have tried to use my Profoto triggers and PWs with no success. To be fair, they do not claim that they work. The best option seems to be using Cactus V6, but this is still limited to 1/125. My reading (flash is still in order), suggests that using the pre-flash from a AF-540FGZII in the hot show with a V6 linked to external flash might allow HSS.

I am still trying to find a way to use my B1 with the 645Z

Ed