Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2015, 05:36 AM   #1

Pentax 645Z + Metz 64 AF-1 Digital

I've got a serious problem with 645Z + Metz's flagship unit (Metz 64 AF-1 digital). Namely, 2 units already have died on me when used on the 645Z. The first unit was bought Dec.19.2014 in the Czech Republic (Prague). It was set in P-TTL mode with the secondary flash at 1/2. After 15 or so shots the first day, with the same setup the flash exploded (the bulb in the secondary flash died with a bang). Apart from visible shattered glass inside the secondary flash there aren't any defects. The flash won't turn on however.

At first I thought it's an isolated incident, informed Metz and they've told me to handle it with the dealer in Prague (30E fast shipping back to Prague). Meanwhile I've ordered a secondary unit from HK. Same scenario. 15 shots or thereabout the first day then after a few days not being used, the flash died on the first shot today (secondary bulb explodes with a loud bang with shattered glass inside).

Pic:

I've mailed Metz again, and trying to sort things out on Ebay with the seller (the HK unit). Meanwhile, if you do have any suggestion share it here. Metz informed me they never tested the unit with the 645Z but that's a silly excuse.

My suggestion would be to AVOID using the secondary flash on your Z.

01-14-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Must be something different on the 645Z defeating the safety features. On my K3, my only complaint was that when using the secondary flash, the 64 AF went into overheat mode and shut down for a few minutes when I was shooting quite a few shots of a dancer in action. Had the big yellow triangle not appeared, I wonder if I would have seen some damage. Was the flash on camera or connected with a cable?
01-14-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
MKD

Original Poster
The flash was on the camera in both cases. The second flash died while trying to take a portrait shot with the head pointing upwards. It was definitely not an overheat issue from use since today it was virtually the first shot the camera took/flash fired.
03-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #4

Seems like it must be a Z problem, I just send my 64AF-1 to get fixed, had the same problem with the secondary bulb bursting while shooting, at a children's party no less. So have you had any issues with the Z and 64AF-1 since you stopped using the secondary fill flash. (theyre sending me a replacement flash, but if its a problem id rather toss it up for sale).

03-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
MKD

Original Poster
I've sent my unit to the factory service back in Germany and they've inspected it. Their reply was that they couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in terms of soldering, components etc. so they've narrowed it down to the Z. Since getting back a repaired unit, I've stopped using the secondary fill flash completely, since 2 units died on me b.c of it being on.

The 645Z is not on the approved list of cameras and they've said themselves that they don't have it to try it on and the 64AF-1d unit was never tested for work on our camera. So, I would stop using this flash unit on the Z immediately or at least disable the secondary flash.

I haven't taken many shots since receiving back the replacement, but since I had 2 die on me, you had 1, it's best to play it safe for now and start asking questions at Ricoh and Metz.
03-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #6

Thanks, for the reply. I used the 64AF-1 for a month with no problem, then I turned on the fill flash and within 3 days, kaboom. (scared the crap out of me and all the children I was shooting..lol). Looks like ill be tossing it up for sale when they send me the new replacement flash.