Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
645z Firmware 1.21 is out.

• Improved stability of tethered shooting when using Image Transmitter2.
    *In this update, HDR RAW shooting cannot be used when using Image Transmitter2 with tethered shooting.
  • Improved stability for general performance.
Latest PENTAX 645Z Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

03-27-2015, 03:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Just updated, nothing much has changed in Image transfer 2 software (Mac user). Still cannot resize window. A disappointment there on the interface side. As the only way to use live view is through that software. Of course a big downside to live view is the exposure compensation with modelling lights on strobes in manual, so don’t use this feature anyway.
I did install and update DCU5, and although it works, it’s kind of a clunky and unattractive interface puts me off using it. I really think if somebody will spend so much on a camera for studio work, they are at a level where they will use a professional software like Lightroom and Capture One Pro.
One big improvement is the speed that files transfers to the computer. I timed only 2 seconds that the the photo popped up in Lightroom using auto export.
03-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

Great news that the transfer speed is up! That's *all* that matters, since I think 99% of serious working pros will run this into LR anyway.

- N.
03-27-2015, 11:07 PM   #4

For me this new firmware has noticeably increased the stability of using IT2. Though I have not used IT2 much , previously I felt like I had issues with initial recognition of the camera, and had to fiddle with settings. Now it's instantly recognized. I am getting the images in IT2 in about 2 seconds, and imported and displayed in LR in about 5 seconds (or, slightly under) . Out of curiosity I tried transferring both a large jpeg, and a raw dng...they were virtually identical in transfer times.

To further compare I tethered a 5d mkII ( 22 mb vs the Z's 60mb files) to LR; both raw and Jpeg files again took about 5 seconds. So it seems LR is the bottleneck though I am sure that is no surprise to most. With the 5d mkII tethered to C1 the files display between 1 to 1.5 seconds. The setup up is a 2012 Macbook Pro, latest OS, 16 gig of ram, LR 5.7 , C1 8.1.

Really looking forward to possible performance gains in LR 6; maybe even direct tethering.

While on the subject I wanted to share an accessory that some may be interested in for their tethering. Randomly stumbled upon it...it's a Really Right Stuff cable anchor the item # is CA-1. You use it in conjunction with a arca-stlyle plate on the camera's side tripod mount. It adds some level of assurance by keeping those small USB3 cords firmly in place, and not wiggling around. Tried it out with a straight cable and right-angle cable connection....both fit well. Here's a photo.....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
03-27-2015, 11:17 PM   #5

in case it did not show in previous post...

03-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lurker56 Quote
in case it did not show in previous post...

Thanks for the tip on the RRS clamp. When I get to tethering---holding off while I get my new flash setup sorted, my immediate field need---I'll pick one up.

Those RRS QR plates are great, I have them.
03-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Thanks for the tip on the RRS clamp. When I get to tethering---holding off while I get my new flash setup sorted, my immediate field need---I'll pick one up.

Those RRS QR plates are great, I have them.
Sure thing. Like the rrs products too....maybe one day will splurge on one of their tripods. I was hoping others may may find it as useful. I had looked online a while back for something similar made for the Z , but couldn't find anything. Gave up. Received a RRS catalog recently, and noticed this new product. Something like the Jerk-Stopper from tether tools helps. This however is solid and gives confidence that the cord won't disconnect, or possibly damage the port with frequent movement.

It think it would be great to have a sticky thread with "Useful accessories for the 645 D & Z ". Where users note accessories that help aid their shooting experience.

A few examples:

Pentax F remote shutter release. Not a long range capability necessarily, but nice to use in lieu of a wired release. Especially with mirror-up mode. This model has batteries that can be replaced where I think the waterproof version does not. It is small ..fits in that fifth pocket of jeans.

Joby wrist strap connected to a bottom release plate. The rrs plate has a perfect slot for this. One of the first things I noticed with the camera were the split-rings (where you attach the neck strap) felt like they were in the way when you are gripping the camera. Took them off as you can see in the photo. Actually I usually remove neck straps anyway, but thought I may want some kind of insurance with this camera.

Found some thin film-type screen protectors for LCD display on the rear which also includes one for the lcd readout on top of the camera. Haven't applied them yet...kind of like a phone screen film protector. From (E) bay ....Savvies SU75 UltraClear ( sold in various quantities, something I figure I'll replace occasionally) .

Good luck with you new flash system!

Oh, and sorry all for the double photo post. Looked like it did not show up in the original post. Newbie mistake. Have lurked here for a while as the username suggests.

03-31-2015, 03:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lurker56 Quote
Sure thing. Like the rrs products too....maybe one day will splurge on one of their tripods. I was hoping others may may find it as useful. I had looked online a while back for something similar made for the Z , but couldn't find anything. Gave up. Received a RRS catalog recently, and noticed this new product. Something like the Jerk-Stopper from tether tools helps. This however is solid and gives confidence that the cord won't disconnect, or possibly damage the port with frequent movement.

It think it would be great to have a sticky thread with "Useful accessories for the 645 D & Z ". Where users note accessories that help aid their shooting experience.

A few examples:

Pentax F remote shutter release. Not a long range capability necessarily, but nice to use in lieu of a wired release. Especially with mirror-up mode. This model has batteries that can be replaced where I think the waterproof version does not. It is small ..fits in that fifth pocket of jeans.

Joby wrist strap connected to a bottom release plate. The rrs plate has a perfect slot for this. One of the first things I noticed with the camera were the split-rings (where you attach the neck strap) felt like they were in the way when you are gripping the camera. Took them off as you can see in the photo. Actually I usually remove neck straps anyway, but thought I may want some kind of insurance with this camera.

Found some thin film-type screen protectors for LCD display on the rear which also includes one for the lcd readout on top of the camera. Haven't applied them yet...kind of like a phone screen film protector. From (E) bay ....Savvies SU75 UltraClear ( sold in various quantities, something I figure I'll replace occasionally) .

Good luck with you new flash system!

Oh, and sorry all for the double photo post. Looked like it did not show up in the original post. Newbie mistake. Have lurked here for a while as the username suggests.
I agree about the sticky thread. I'll need luck with the new flashes/triggers. On my 3rd triggers---Skyports (opaque operation, stupid battery/charger system)--Odin (for Sony, good but brand specific and pricey)---now Cactus V6, which looks to be the best (but not for Sony, grrrr), multiple flashes--- Metz for Sony (good flash, bad menu, probably won't workwith the Z cuz its for Sony, but we'll see)---Sony (good menu, overheats quick)--Pentax 500 (can't profile with the V6)--Pentax 540 (seems fine, but no HSS with the Z)---Cactus RF60 (everything you'd want but TTL, and probably no HSS with the Z, but we'll see).

Need a sticky Z flash thread, too, probably....
04-01-2015, 12:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Hey guys, I think we should stick to the thread topic (firmware update 1.21) and start a new thread about useful accessories. Saying that, i just bought the most expensive bit of plastic ever, called the JerkStopper for 25€. My usb3 cable kept popping out handheld, annoying. Now it stays in nice and tight: - JerkStopper | Cable Retention System | Save Your Assets Before It's Too Late