Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best lens for traveling to China?

Going back to China this summer, this time with my 645D. I'm wondering which lens should I bring along, I'll do a lot of handholding shooting, daytime and a few evening shot. Thank you.

03-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Where in China? It's a big place. Saying "I'm going to China" is exactly like saying "I'm going to visit the USA." The geography is vastly different from region to region and you can't get from one place to another so easily, like in Europe.
03-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Where in China? It's a big place. Saying "I'm going to China" is exactly like saying "I'm going to visit the USA." The geography is vastly different from region to region and you can't get from one place to another so easily, like in Europe.
Beijing and Guangzhou, so Great Wall, Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square for example. So I'll do a lot of landscape, city and street work.
03-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wide angle

I have lived in Beijing for almost 8 years now. Most of the places you mentioned you would do well to bring something wide. Are you doing it on your own schedule or with a tour group?

Edit: there are several great wall locations, some have vantage points where telephoto works beautifully too

Last edited by PANGU_yien; 03-27-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: adding
03-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Based on the above I'd suggest the FA 35mm (landscape and cityscape) and the FA 80-160mm zoom (street work). That's a relatively compact package.
03-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I travelled a few times to China including Beijing and Guangzhou. The main issue will be the smogg. The lighting will be poor with minimum contrast. You want a lens that will work with these conditions.

With my K7 & K-3, one lens is outstanding for these light conditions: Voigtlander 58mm f1.4. Over all my other lenses incl. my two amigos (FA Ltds).... I do not know the medium format lenses, but I would recommend to bring 'that special lens' for smoggy conditions which prevail 60-70% of the time when it is not raining.

Hope that the comment may help.
03-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

its the 90mm DFA...........

03-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It depends on what you consider as heavy.

For travel landscape and handheld I would take the new DA 28-45 and the DFA 90mm Macro. Both have OS that works very well especially if shooting with the 645D with high iso that isn't the best.

If weight is an issue, I would take the A or FA 35mm and the FA 120mm macro. Both are sharp and light.

You may wish to pack the DFA 55mm as well if you enjoy a slightly tighter crop than 35mm.

If I were travelling with the D again without the OS lenses, I would also pack a monopod for the handheld stuff. However, I like to shoot most exclusively on ISO100, but the D can go to ISO 800-1000 quite well.

I would also suggest you AF align your lenses before you go as you will be using AF a lot.
03-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PANGU_yien Quote
I have lived in Beijing for almost 8 years now. Most of the places you mentioned you would do well to bring something wide. Are you doing it on your own schedule or with a tour group?

Edit: there are several great wall locations, some have vantage points where telephoto works beautifully too
Thank you Pangu Yien, first week in Beijing is organize whit a group, we are visiting the Wall at Juyong Pass. Second week by ourselves me and my 11 year old daughter, going down to Yangjiang and Guangzhou.

---------- Post added 03-28-15 at 09:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
It depends on what you consider as heavy.

For travel landscape and handheld I would take the new DA 28-45 and the DFA 90mm Macro. Both have OS that works very well especially if shooting with the 645D with high iso that isn't the best.

If weight is an issue, I would take the A or FA 35mm and the FA 120mm macro. Both are sharp and light.

You may wish to pack the DFA 55mm as well if you enjoy a slightly tighter crop than 35mm.

If I were travelling with the D again without the OS lenses, I would also pack a monopod for the handheld stuff. However, I like to shoot most exclusively on ISO100, but the D can go to ISO 800-1000 quite well.

I would also suggest you AF align your lenses before you go as you will be using AF a lot.

Appreciate your idea with the monopod!

---------- Post added 03-28-15 at 09:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I travelled a few times to China including Beijing and Guangzhou. The main issue will be the smogg. The lighting will be poor with minimum contrast. You want a lens that will work with these conditions.

With my K7 & K-3, one lens is outstanding for these light conditions: Voigtlander 58mm f1.4. Over all my other lenses incl. my two amigos (FA Ltds).... I do not know the medium format lenses, but I would recommend to bring 'that special lens' for smoggy conditions which prevail 60-70% of the time when it is not raining.

Hope that the comment may help.
How is it in July? Went to Guangzhou in 2004 and very smoggy in October so I presume it will be worse in July! Thank you.
03-28-2015, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bernard.B Quote
we are visiting the Wall at Juyong Pass
As previously mentioned, trying to get a landscape shot of the Great Wall with no haze or smog in the back ground is a challenge. I had better luck with closer detail shots of some stairs or a small section, with little or no sky in the frame.

Phil.
03-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wide vistas of the wall have been done to death, you would be better off using a short Tele and capturing more intimate photos, as said above.
03-29-2015, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #12

45-90. simple.
03-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
^^^ What he said.