Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

Low Light Exposure Override

I just received the new 645z with 55 lens today! I'm digging into how to operate this beast and find that in manual mode, or other modes, if the light is below what's needed, the shutter will not trip. What setting controls this override? I don't want to be limited in this way.

I've ordered a few of the older used lens - this is going to be an interesting journey! I'm going on vacation in a little over a week from now and have a long way to go in mastering the controls.

Since I have a canon 5d, I was planning to get the 5Ds-r, however when seeing the image quality comparison to the 645z I changed directions. I ordered the camera from Henry's in Canada. Due to the favorable currency exchange rate and the free 55mm lens it was an ideal opportunity to buy into this system.

Phil

05-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #2

Original Poster
OK - got the problem fixed.
05-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
OK - got the problem fixed.
How did you fix it?
05-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yup, you'll love the files this camera gives you. The rest is up to you 😊. But please share your solution to the problem you experienced

05-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
I must admit I'm not all that knowledgeable concerning the controls yet. I changed the D-Range settings to OFF. I haven't reversed the setting to confirm that this was the problem or something else.

I have an old Hasselblad CM camera that I should sell - haven't used it for years, so I appreciate the results from the medium camera format. I'm looking forward to rising to the challenge of mastering this camera. Initial hand held shots indicate improvement is needed! I will be using a tripod for landscape.

I find this forum very helpful. There is a wealth of technical and practical information being shared here.

Phil
05-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
I must admit I'm not all that knowledgeable concerning the controls yet. I changed the D-Range settings to OFF. I haven't reversed the setting to confirm that this was the problem or something else.

I have an old Hasselblad CM camera that I should sell - haven't used it for years, so I appreciate the results from the medium camera format. I'm looking forward to rising to the challenge of mastering this camera. Initial hand held shots indicate improvement is needed! I will be using a tripod for landscape.

I find this forum very helpful. There is a wealth of technical and practical information being shared here.

Phil
Hi Phil, welcome.

I too am a new 645z owner. Found a wealth of information here.

I must disagree on one point. with the 55mm DFA, you can get superb handheld shots, even out of a moving car, with one hand! I will post an example later if you like. Of course you need to be at the right shutter speed.

One thing everyone cautioned me about and I found it to be very true is that you MUST watch the highlights and expose for them. Let the shadows fall where they will. You can pull out 4 stops of shadow detail but highlight recovery is rather limited, so if you blow them, they are gone. I always shoot manual but with the Z, I meter the entire scene and expose for the highlights.

Enjoy the camera. I am off to South Africa in two weeks on a wildlife shoot, will take it along with me, see how it does.

Pradeep