Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Mario Testino + Pentax 67 @ 1/30 second

Excellent UK documentary of Mario Testino. He is using Pentax 67 + 90mm f/2.8 handheld and synced to flash via X-Sync port for the majority of this video of Vanity Fair shoots! A tripod is not a must have for 1/30 sec shooting w/ the P67 system. I'm not saying everyone has a steady hand but, I definitely have results more than satisfactory for me...

08-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Polaroid back...now that is cool.
08-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

You can have the steadiest hold in the world and 1/30th will still give you motion blur if your subject is moving around, waving hands, etc. But a flash that will help freeze the shot and mask any minor movement if the flash is equal or greater than the ambient from my experience with it.
08-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I have a 67 with polaroid back and a flash 540 fgz use it with the lens LS 165mm f4

08-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

A famous photographer using a Pentax 67. Love it.
08-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Yeah, pretty cool. But film cameras are cheap these days. For a professional, I don't see they wouldn't have more than one film camera especially if you do a lot of strobe work. There are plenty of other medium format film cameras capable of making that task a lot easier with more lenses that have higher flash syncs for daytime strobe balancing and will also deliver just as good a image as one from a Pentax.
08-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #7

Original Poster
No doubt... This was posted for those as there are so many posts regarding the Pentax 67 hand hold capability, flash sync rate of 1/30 sec and mirror slap...I also found the documentary rewarding as I have a few Testino books despite not being a huge fan but, I never knew many of his iconic works were shot w/ the Pentax 67 system. I'm definitely not trying to tout the 67 as the best camera or that it is the best Medium Format camera. It is my favorite but, to each their own. There is no "BEST" camera or format. All cameras have their pros and cons and are just tools for each situation... DSLRs are more suited than virtually all Medium Format cameras (digital or film) for action etc. Large format has it's strengths, etc. There is no one camera that is the best for all

08-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think the whole medium format film market was about specialization in different categories. No one camera was the best for everything. The main two categories would be studio and field cameras. Clearly, some were at home more in a studio than the field and of course the other way around.
08-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Clearly, some were at home more in a studio than the field and of course the other way around.
Based on the handling characteristics of some, what you say makes a lot of sense.

Steve
09-19-2015, 05:19 PM   #10

Just snapshots served up with a thick veneer of bull crap. Not reportage because he can't use the ambient light. Not a painter's eye because he can't paint the light. Just a big blast of flash an inch off the lens with faces lit like pancakes, nothing more. Polaroids? Why? He needed to test flat light? No, just like everything else about his act - all for show. Look at the beards he creates under the chins of those women - a thin black line under all the chins when that flash fires. I recognize his high degree of skill - in salesmanship - in building relationships - in self-promotion and in branding. He has my respect there. Skill with lighting? It's as basic as any 60's wedding photographer. Skill with posing? Sure, let's do two girls on toilets.