Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

right angle viewfinder for the Z ?

Hey guys,
just found this, does anybody know if that works with the Z ?
as it is not mentioned in the description and I am not a Pentaxian,
could you give me any advice?

Ziv Right Angle Viewfinder for Select Nikon, Canon, Leica, RAVF 150902

would be a nice addition for the studio...
cheers
Z

Last edited by zobeleye; 09-02-2015 at 03:13 PM.
09-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes there is:

Pentax Refconverter 645 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

This particular model will work with the entire Pentax 645 camera lineup, but it might be hard to get your hands on one!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are several available on eBay at the moment. The cheapest seems to be $132 out of Japan. A useful looking device.
09-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes there is:

Pentax Refconverter 645 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

This particular model will work with the entire Pentax 645 camera lineup, but it might be hard to get your hands on one!
Yes, this and the magnifier optic both can work. I'd argue that in some ways the magnifier is more useful, given that it works with using the OVF for more critical focusing while working with the OVF run and gun style (sort of). OTOH, the right angle finder's utility is in a large way replaced by the tilting LCD screen...just sayin'. I have both, btw.

09-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Yes, this and the magnifier optic both can work. I'd argue that in some ways the magnifier is more useful, given that it works with using the OVF for more critical focusing while working with the OVF run and gun style (sort of). OTOH, the right angle finder's utility is in a large way replaced by the tilting LCD screen...just sayin'. I have both, btw.
Yeah, I've seen one of these at a local used camera shop and I was thinking it would've been a useful accessory back when I had the D, but with the Z's tilt-screen and 16x (greater than life-size) magnification, I'm not really sure what would be the point. Still a good pick for D owners.
09-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On second look, this Ziv looks like it could be a good item at a good price.
09-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #7

Because of eyesight alone, I used an anglefinder with the pre-Live View Canon 5D for 3 years to help focus manual lenses but eventually, even with this aid, I settled on setting these lenses to infinity. In cases where I actually had to focus on objects closer than infinity, I changed lenses and used AF.

For close to the ground usage, I found the anglefinder only marginally helpful if you can picture someone on their hands and knees doggy-style bent over (and still breathing dust). With a tilt LCD, I can at least sit upright behind my rig and view the screen from a distance above the dust.

Live View was a Godsend and I thank Pentax for providing a tilt LCD on a pro camera that some 35mm format manufacturers seem to think is beneath them.

09-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #8

Have one for my 645D. But, so far, never used it.

-Linus-
09-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
just received mine.
no luck attaching it to the Z.
although it comes with a pentax adapter, the whole thing is rectangular and way too small.
no clue as to how this can work at all.
I have removed the big rubber cap, unscrewed the ring around the glass, but there is nothing with the Zakuto to screw into this thread on the Z.
a bit at a loss about what to do.
please help
Z
09-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #10

If it's the China made adapter - no chance.
These models are only for APS-C or FF.
This is how it should look like:

-Linus-

Sorry I did not follow the link you'd given - could have warned you
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I8750  Photo 

Last edited by -Linus-; 09-15-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Sorry...
09-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
Forum Member

I bought mine about a year ago from B&H. It was made or sold by Polaroid and came with a number of adapters for Pentax, Nikon, Canon etc. The only problem I had with it when using it on my K5 was that it was a little loose which made things a little annoying.

Jay