Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #1

HSS monolight for Pentax 645z

Im looking for a strobe for my Pentax 645z that can do hyper sync. I have read about Priolite, but I read also that it has problem with banding. Does anyone know of alternative. The Pentax strobe is just under power for it to be effective. Has anyone tested the new Godox 600 to hyper sync with Pentax 645z?

05-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Forums are so funny. One user had a banding problem, it's been fine with others.

TBH, I wonder if it would be less of a headache to just invest in some high powered continuous lighting and/or a bunch of reflectors.
05-03-2016, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you specifically want to do hypersync, or just any method of super-sync flash? Acon, Aokatec, and Cactus are the other three options of which I am aware that will do high speed sync, which is generally superior to hypersync. Acon, and Aokatec do true pTTL HSS, albeit through slightly different methods, while Cactus does a pseudo HSS which is manual power only.

Cactus will also do hypersync, but understand that hypersyncing inherently yields uneven exposure (what I think you are referring to as "banding"). The specific strobe, and not the trigger, will determine the evenness of illumination in a hypersync exposure. Basically you want a unit with a really long flash duration at full power. For even illumination with a 645Z the flash duration needs to be longer than the max sync speed of 1/125th of a second, 1/90th would be good, 1/60th would be better. The problem is the only flash solution I can think of that comes remotely close to that would be the old magnesium 1-time use bulbs, or maybe flash powder. My recommendation? Go with High Speed Sync instead.

[edit: After re-reading the title of the thread, I realized you were asking about monolights that do HSS (which is different from hypersync, by the way). Priolite is the only one currently, so you may have more luck in the realm of speedlights.]

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 05-03-2016 at 12:46 PM.
05-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

I didn't think Cactus could do HSS with Pentax. I tried without success and did some research on the net but found no confirmation.

05-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robertchow999 Quote
I didn't think Cactus could do HSS with Pentax. I tried without success and did some research on the net but found no confirmation.

Pseudo, at the moment.

The Aokatec does a clumsy optical to radio conversion. This does work - I've got one - but the Acon is closest to the P-TTL type triggers available for other brands. Inexpensive, no frills, just does its job.
07-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by gedra Quote
Im looking for a strobe for my Pentax 645z that can do hyper sync. I have read about Priolite, but I read also that it has problem with banding. Does anyone know of alternative. The Pentax strobe is just under power for it to be effective. Has anyone tested the new Godox 600 to hyper sync with Pentax 645z?
Hi Gedra,

I have used the Acon r930p transmitter/receiver and it works with my studio storbes I get sync speed up to 4000/s with very little gradation and or banding.

Should you decide to get the system, you will need to ask the folks at Acon to send you a special firmware they made to work with the Pentax 645z and studio storbes.

If you need help message me and I will be happy to help.
07-06-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iancx Quote
Hi Gedra,

I have used the Acon r930p transmitter/receiver and it works with my studio storbes I get sync speed up to 4000/s with very little gradation and or banding.

Should you decide to get the system, you will need to ask the folks at Acon to send you a special firmware they made to work with the Pentax 645z and studio storbes.

If you need help message me and I will be happy to help.
What strobes do you have again?

07-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
What strobes do you have again?
i have a Pentax AF540FGZ portable flash
07-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gedra Quote
i have a Pentax AF540FGZ portable flash
So a speedlight rather than strobe, Gedra?

07-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #10

I have used 2 AF540FGZ with the ACON R930 transmitter/receivers with my 645D and the HSS worked fine up to 1/4000sec. As soon I have time (next month) I can give it a try with my Einstein`s E640, but I don´t think it will work.... I´ll let you know...