Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Waist Level/Chimney Finder in Portrait Orientation?

I'm still working my way through all the permutations of the P67 "system" (and spending way too much time on eBay), so I'm looking for a little more feedback if you're willing.

Right now, what I'm envisioning is carrying a P67 along on my hikes in the Smoky Mountains, which for me means shooting both classic landscapes (waterfalls and the like) as well as wildflowers and whatever else piques my interest of a morning. If I'm working with a Manfrotto geared head and a Uni-loc tripod (because a man can never have too many knobs), do you think a waist level or rigid viewfinder would be a good option, even if I often shoot in portrait orientation? Since I'm nearsighted--the advent of Live View really made photography possible for me again--I'd be willing to give up TTL metering for a little magnification, if it didn't mean an inordinate amount of faffing about.

Any experience from the field greatly appreciated!

10-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you are frequently shooting in portrait orientation, the waist level finder is more of a hindrance/nuisance that defeats its purpose. Much better by a mile to sit with the TTL or unmetered prism, and for those awkward shots, invest in a right-angle finder (either a 6x7 or 67-designated one, not a cheap Chinese knock-off). The right-angle finder has adjustable dioptric correction, which works well enough for me (+2-and-a-bit in my case). There is no easy way to address the awkward re-orientation and viewing through a waist-level finder in the portrait orientation. You should try both the WLF and the TTL/unmetered finder for comparison before travelling. Personally I would not make my work out there any more difficult or testing (beside carrying around 16kg of glass and metal...) with a finder that imparts awkwardness in how I approach the equipment relative to the scene and other specifics that can sometimes really test me.
10-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
(beside carrying around 16kg of glass and metal...)

Excellent, thanks for the insights, SS...no doubt I'm approaching the point where "trial and error" is going to rule the day. Otherwise, my knee is still making clicking noises from the last time I piled all my DSLR kit into my pack--maybe any 67 I buy should come with a complimentary gym membership.
10-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In the real world of being "out there" photographing and having a "bloody good tour" (a classic phrase from my long bicycle touring days...), the burden of weight can really erode the enjoyment of the moment. What is perceived, or actually known to be an easy to moderate walk can become a real slugfest. I plan on paring down my P67 kit over the southern hemisphere Spring and Summer season so I can regain full enjoyment of any of the walks I undertake, without having to persistently cuss and curse on every small molehill that becomes a mountain under carried load!!

Last edited by Silent Street; 10-02-2016 at 04:01 PM.