Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
14 Likes  
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread
Posted By: falconeye, 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi everybody,

I would like to open up a thread dedicated to one topic:

DA lens on Full Frame: a sticky test shots thread.

This thread shall be dedicated to test shots of a DA lens mounted to a full frame body (e.g., a film camera body). By test shot, I mean shots dedicated to evaluate the performance. Shots of ordinary subjects aren't suitable to this task, normally, and should not be posted. So, these are the rules:
  • K mount lens dedicated to the APS-C form factor is used.
  • Image is taken full frame 36mm x 24mm.
  • Lens hood was removed.
  • And ideally, no filter is mounted.
  • The aperture used is specified (note that film cameras don't record EXIF...).
  • Sample image shows the entire field of view.
  • Sample image(s) show(s) corner, border and center performance at 10MP-100% (multiple crops, or single not-resized image).
  • The subject is such that resolution and vignetting at the borders can be compared to the center.
The idea behind this thread is obvious: To compile enough data to assess the spectrum of available lenses for a forthcoming full frame DSLR in K mount.

#################################################

Table of results as obtained in this thread (updated regularly):
SMC Pentax-DA primes...
SMC Pentax-DA zooms...
Sigma K mount DC...
  • Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC: -
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC: - (below 14mm, Gooshin)
Tamron K mount Di-II...
Overall rating scale:
+++: no significant difference between APS-C and FF corners
++: difference but usable at full aperture with a small loss in corner IQ only
+: usable staring at f/4~f/5.6, with no or a small loss in corner IQ only
o: usable at f/11 or with big loss in corner IQ only
-: not usable

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2016 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Result table updated
Views: 445,816
05-20-2010, 01:38 AM   #136
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess everyone was expecting it, but it haven't been stated in this thread: DA15ltd is not a full frame lens:
DA 15ltd f9

05-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
I guess everyone was expecting it, but it haven't been stated in this thread: DA15ltd is not a full frame lens:
DA 15ltd f9
Thanks, I updated the OP.
05-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #138

oh, maybe it's not fullframe lens but I just love the Holga-ish quality of it on fullframe!
05-26-2010, 08:22 AM   #139

Photos: Albums
it has been stated that the DA 18-55 II works on full frame from 24mm but i havent seen any pics. So far i have only tried the lens twice on my SuperA on the focal length: 35mm, no obvious vignetting to me.

05-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #140

I forgot to add that both pictures were slightly cut off from the top by the person scanning it, however i see no obvious vignetting on the film. Both pictures were taken with an aperture of f8-f11.
08-01-2010, 05:13 AM   #141
Forum Member

I don't think anyone has tested the 55mm DA*. I have neither the lens nor a FF body, but I did notice the below comment from the DPreview review...

"Full frame coverage

Not something that's of much practical relevance for Pentax users at the moment, but the fact that the optical unit is much the same size as the older DA 50mm F1.4 made us curious about the coverage of the 55mm F1.4's image circle. A couple of simple tests using a Pentax film SLR confirm that in terms of illumination at least, the lens does (despite its DA* designation) cover the full 35mm frame."

Pentax SMC DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Lens Review: 3. Test results: Digital Photography Review
10-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #142
Pentaxian

First film captures using the DA 35mm/2.4 make it look like it is a proper FF lens.

10-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Braddokovik Quote
"A couple of simple tests using a Pentax film SLR confirm that in terms of illumination at least, the lens does (despite its DA* designation) cover the full 35mm frame."
Thanks for the update.
Yes, there have been earlier reports that it doesn't vignette (as I cite in the OP), at least not at f/8. But I think, a final confirmation at full aperture and for corner sharpness is still out. And because it is a new optical design, I'd rather see the evidence. Having said this, I would be surprised to learn that the DA*55 is anything but a genuine full frame lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
First film captures using the DA 35mm/2.4 make it look like it is a proper FF lens.
Thanks for the link. I updated the OP.

One poster mentions slight vignetting. I may add that at short distances, the focal plane distance increases and chances for vignetting increase too.
11-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #144
Forum Member

Not my work so I don't know if it's Ok to link this? I hadn't seen it mentioned here before but it may help in defining the 60-250 as FF?

Pentax 60-250 SDM Samples: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
11-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
Not my work so I don't know if it's Ok to link this? I hadn't seen it mentioned here before but it may help in defining the 60-250 as FF?

Pentax 60-250 SDM Samples: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Thank You very much for the reference.
Actually, I already did a full lab test of the 60-250 on FF but didn't already have the time to publish it. I can confirm what is said in the other thread. However, it isn't the whole story. The 60-250 has some weaker spots on FF too - but not to an extent that it would disqualify for FF. I really have to work on my backlog.
11-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #146
Forum Member

I could be about to spring for a 60-250 and would like to future proof myself as much as possible, could you elaborate on your findings just a little Falk???
11-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jules Quote
I could be about to spring for a 60-250 and would like to future proof myself as much as possible, could you elaborate on your findings just a little Falk???
Well, that would mean to write the article I didn't have time to do, right?

In a nutshell, the 60-250 can be used on full frame. It has slight vignetting on the tele end and some corner softness on the wide end, IIRC. The corner softness may have been due to CA on black&white film.

All in all, it's a full frame lens. Pentax probably wouldn't have called it FA* but FA. OTOH, test results from some other expensive (Canikon) full frame zoom lenses on photozone are not better than what I saw from the 60-250. The FA* 300/4.5 performed better in the corners (which I compared for reference) but it's a prime lens. Also, e.g., a Canon 70-200/4L (which is a gem in itself) outperforms it on the FF image circle.

More on that if I find the time to compile the full article.
07-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Just tested the DA(L) 35mm f2.4 on a Pentax SuperA (or Super Program) @f2.4 -2.8 - 4 -5.6 - 11

No vigneting at all, sharp from center to the corner, very smooth bokeh.

Obvioulsy build like a FF lense
07-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Just tested the DA(L) 35mm f2.4
Thanks. I updated the OP.
07-25-2011, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #150
Veteran Member

Original Poster
DA* 60-250 quick-n-dirty intermediate results

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
More on that if I find the time to compile the full article.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Is that with or without the hood? Falconeye has said that it is full frame compatible, although he has not yet up loaded photos to show that fact.
That's true and thanks for the reminder. I've still a full article to write about that. Examining resolution, typical corner resolution for full frame lenses and what film can resolve in the center and all this.

But here is a quick and dirty upload of three focal lengths of the DA*60-250 fully open on Film.

Focal lengths in order:
  1. 60mm
  2. 60mm f/4
  3. 135mm f/4
  4. 250mm f/4
Note that TMax 100 is a film with hard gradation and will exagerate any vignetting effect in the corners. Also note that the black effect at the left edge and in the lower left corner is shadow on the wall. Also note that I cropped the scans (with 3/2 ratio for 24x36mm) to get rid of the black borders. The scan area may have been slightly greater by a few pixels.

Vignetting is most visible at long focal lengths and fully open aperture. But vignetting is always partial only, i.e., can be corrected. More cumbersome is a certain softness in extreme corners at the short end and fully open aperture. Both effects rapidly disappear when stepping down.

In order to set all this into perspective, I have to compare results with a dedicated full frame lens. I already measured the FA*300/4.5 (and previously, the DA*300/4) but didn't find the time yet to publish everything side by side.
Attached Images

Last edited by falconeye; 07-25-2011 at 05:21 AM.