Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

printing a large Canvas Question

Hi All,
I have K7 I believe it has 14.6 Mp. I would like to print a large canvas, however I am not sure how big I can go with 14.6 Mp. I assume that the Mp affects the quality of large prints. Anybody with K7 can tell me what is your biggest print or canvas with this camera? I am afraid to print since they are so expensive, but I need some. Thank you in advance for any tips to print large.

11-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't printed big myself but I've read about it and some will tell you "you need a medium format or D800 to print anything bigger than A3 or it will look uglu!", other will tell you "Well, people printed big with 8-10MP just a few years ago and they still look nice, as loong as you don't measurbate."
11-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a good explanation at this site below. [Canvas is supposed to be more forgiving than paper]

How Big Can I Print | Size of Canvas Prints, Canvas Art, Photos Canvas
11-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming you are not doing high-priced commission work, your camera should suffice just fine. A good printer should be able to either provide you with requirements or simply take your image file & whip it into shape for large scale output.
If you don't have much experience with prepping your own files, then the latter approach is preferred.

M

11-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
A lot depends on how the printed image will be viewed. Think about the Jumbotron displays often used in sports stadiums. They use approximately the same resolution as the television in your home. If you are near the Jumbotron, you tend to only see the individual colored lights. If you are across the stadium, the image is nearly as good as your home television.

You have the exact same problem when printing. You need to determine how close the image will typically be viewed. At arm's length, the rules in the link provided by psychdoc are pertinent. If the distance is larger, you can also print larger. The photographs you see on advertising billboards typically come from today's digital cameras, but also think about the typical viewing distance.

Miguel is also correct when considering the purpose of the image. An image that will be subject to intense viewing and judgement will typically need greater sharpness than more pedestrian images. The above mentioned billboard gets no more than a few seconds of viewing.
11-02-2013, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K-7 and an EPSON 7600 printer (24" wide) and routinely print 24" x 36" on EPSON Canvas with excellent results (for gallery exhibits).

At that size, the image resolution is about 130 dpi and I use a separate printing/resampling application to upscale the images to 360 dpi before sending them to the printer which prints at 1440 dpi.

If you plan to send your images to an outside lab for printing, you should upscale them to their specs (usually at 300 dpi) using the best resampling algorithms your image processing software provides (most likely bi-cubic).
11-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
ZDE

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demp10 Quote
I have a K-7 and an EPSON 7600 printer (24" wide) and routinely print 24" x 36" on EPSON Canvas with excellent results (for gallery exhibits).

At that size, the image resolution is about 130 dpi and I use a separate printing/resampling application to upscale the images to 360 dpi before sending them to the printer which prints at 1440 dpi.

If you plan to send your images to an outside lab for printing, you should upscale them to their specs (usually at 300 dpi) using the best resampling algorithms your image processing software provides (most likely bi-cubic).
Thank you demp10, great info. I usually send my pics to outside lab, and I use Photoshop to keep my prints at 300dpi. I am really not that good about all the calculations, but according to the link that psychdoc posted
"The maths is pretty easy when trying to work out how big your canvas will be if printed at 100 DPI:

2000px x 1000px image = 20” x 10”
3560px x 4920px image = 35.6" x 49.2" "

DO you know how it would affect the size if it was printed at 300 dpi?
I try to keep everything at 300 dpi, so I am little confused why they show examples of 100 and 50 dpi. Is that because of the lower quality?

Thank you.

11-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
ZDE

Original Poster
printing a canvas

Thank you all. Ok I am kind of spinning around this whole, pixels, resolution, size thing. SO I checked out the link that psychdoc posted and I uploaded my picture to see how big I can go. I put in 24x36 and it never showed any warning sign. so I have one more question can you look at the settings I have by my picture and tell me what you think, what size I can go? And no I am not printing high priced commercial work. Family picture that will be hanging on the wall inside a house. Thank you.
Attached Images

11-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
ZDE

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZDE Quote
Thank you all. Ok I am kind of spinning around this whole, pixels, resolution, size thing. SO I checked out the link that psychdoc posted and I uploaded my picture to see how big I can go. I put in 24x36 and it never showed any warning sign. so I have one more question can you look at the settings I have by my picture and tell me what you think, what size I can go? And no I am not printing high priced commercial work. Family picture that will be hanging on the wall inside a house. Thank you.
Can anybody see the picture I posted in the previous post? I can't see it.
11-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I can see it. Was curious what answers you would get in your first post so was reading what everyone was telling you.
11-03-2013, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Family picture that will be hanging on the wall inside a house.
Assuming a 3 feet / 1 meter viewing distance, 24X36 should be very acceptable if the focus is accurate. Given it is a portrait, sharpness shouldn't be an issue, just focus. Softer is often better than sharper for women and children.

Will this image also be framed? When adding framing, a 24X36 might be downright huge in most homes. in homes, this size is usually reserved for landscapes, still life or abstract subjects. It would be rare to find a framed portrait larger than 11X14 in a home.
11-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
It would be rare to find a framed portrait larger than 11X14 in a home.
That is really good advice. I'd say go to 12x18 to stick with your original aspect ratio and to make framing easy. The only really large portrait-type of images I usually see are artsy nudes.

M
11-03-2013, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

For canvas we have 10 MP images taken with point and shoots printed @ 20x30 inches and we've sold them at that size. My general rule is try not to go under 100 ppi but you could probably try and stretch that a bit. Prints don't look sharp printed at 72 dpi, but they still make nice prints. We also have done many 20x30 14 Mp canvases and they look great. The reason you buy a D800 is you want to have the ability to make prints almost 70 inches wide, that you can walk up to and still see detail in like it was an 8x10. Personally I don't know who does that, but every time I mention it on this site, piles of people tell me they do..(and that they have to have a D800.)

QuoteQuote:
That is really good advice. I'd say go to 12x18 to stick with your original aspect ratio and to make framing easy. The only really large portrait-type of images I usually see are artsy nudes.
For that, get a D800 an make life-size cut outs.
11-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #14
ZDE

Original Poster
thank you all. I am not planning on producing life size prints, and I will not be framing it either. I like canvas. My major concern was knowing if the K7 is able to produce decent enlargements. After reviewing some articles I think I should be alright. Also thank you about the distance tips. Never really thought about it.
11-03-2013, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

thank you all. I am not planning on producing life size prints, and I will not be framing it either. I like canvas. My major concern was knowing if the K7 is able to produce decent enlargements. After reviewing some articles I think I should be alright. Also thank you about the distance tips. Never really thought about it.
I print stuff out from my K20D onto canvas - personal stuff to stick on the wall at home. Biggest being 50x75cm... Since I use one of those online places to get then done, the limiting factor really is the quality of their printing!