Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 05:42 AM   #1

catch in focus

The manual has no comments on this feature. Can anyone explain how it works please?

09-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know what camera you have, but your manual should say something about it, I know my K5 ii's manual does talk about it.
Anyway, google.com is a fantastic tool : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/51036-how-...tch-focus.html
enjoy.
09-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do not mention your specific camera model, but it works like this:

In the Custom Settings menu you activate Catch In Focus
Your AF-mode must be set to AF.S
Your lens will have to be in manual focus mode (for AF-lenses with a focus switch) or it will have to be a manual focus lens by design
The lens base must be electrically conductive.

With this in place, the shutter release will only activate the shutter, when your subject is in focus. This brilliant feature can be used in a number of ways: With a remote or cable release that can lock the shutter you can turn your camera into a camera trap; you can preset a distance and moving objects will trigger the shutter as they move into focus; for ordinary shooting you can point at your subject and turn the focus ring slowly until your subject comes into focus (for example good for certain types of close-up photography) etc.

Have fun!
09-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Your lens will have to be in manual focus mode (for AF-lenses with a focus switch) or it will have to be a manual focus lens by design
I wonder why they didn't make CIF to work in M mode, so that one could conceivably use it with AF (that don't have focus switches, like all of mine) lenses as well.

09-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Glasson Quote
The manual has no comments on this feature. Can anyone explain how it works please?
Many thanks for the reply. The camera manual I was referring to was the K3 and it has no comments other than #25 in the function list. On reading other comments I inspected my K5iis manual and was surprised to find it there with instructions. Thanks for all advice.
Ken
12-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I currently have a Pentax M 55mm 1.8 mounted on my K30 with AF-S selected on the AF switch, focus priority selected in the menu, and catch in focus turned on, yet the shutter continues to fire the instant I push it regardless of the subject being in focus or not. Am I doing something wrong?
12-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I currently have a Pentax M 55mm 1.8
I've never heard about an smc Pentax-M 55mm lens - are you sure it is a genuine Pentax lens with metallic, conductive K-mount?

There is an smc Pentax ("K") 1:1.8 55mm and if that's the one you have, it ought to work with the settings you have desribed.

12-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sorry, you are right I meant K 55mm 1.8. It is genuine, the mount is metal, but it won't work under these settings. Any other suggestions?
12-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I currently have a Pentax M 55mm 1.8 mounted on my K30 with AF-S selected on the AF switch, focus priority selected in the menu, and catch in focus turned on, yet the shutter continues to fire the instant I push it regardless of the subject being in focus or not. Am I doing something wrong?
In the custom menu setting, you have set AF-S to focus priority instead of release priority; and catch-in-focus to ON (as you indicated).
12-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
In the custom menu setting, you have set AF-S to focus priority instead of release priority; and catch-in-focus to ON (as you indicated).
Correct. And the shutter releases even if subject isn't in focus. Is my camera malfunctioning?
12-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Correct. And the shutter releases even if subject isn't in focus. Is my camera malfunctioning?
It really should work - that is: If you aren't using liveview? If you turn on liveview you will have AF.C no matter what.

So, next question: I believe the K-30 has focus peak in liveview. Does focuspeak work with your lens? And, without liveview: Do you get focus confirmation (beep and green hexagon lit in your viewfinder) when you subject is in focus?
12-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I am using the viewfinder, and it will beep and have the red center af indicator light up when in focus. Focus peaking works in live view also. Even tried removing and reinserting the battery and lens. For some reason the camera is acting like focus priority was never selected, so the only thing I can think at this point is to reset the camera and lose all my saved custom settings.