Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #1

Some questions about geotagging and gps tracks

Hello everybody, this is my first post here. I am using Pentax K-r.
I want to geotag my photos and to make gps tracks. I have noname chinese gps navigation which export tracks(routes) in .gpx file format. I tried to geotag my images and its works great. The questions:

- Which software is better - Geosettler or GPicSync. Both export Google Earth .kmz files. I prefer GeoSettler.
- I am looking for a website to make gps tracks but with some photos on the track. Something like Gpsies.com but there I can not add pictures on the route. (I don't want to use Google Earth) I just want to upload the .gpx file and the photos and to share the link to my friends.

Thanks!

02-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm assuming that you are saying the photos are already geotagged (e.g., you've used Geosetter), and now you want to upload them located on a map such as Google maps.
One easy way is to bring your pics into Picasa, then upload the ones you want to a Picasa web album. A little map shows up next to the pic and then you can either view a (Google) map w/ all the pics on it or open it in Google Earth. Here's an example.
Another very good option that involves uploading the GPX file and your pics and letting the program plot them based on timestamps is Breadcrumbs. Here's another example I did.
02-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Geosetter, to tag my photos. I have garmin GPS units, (yes more than 1) and am also invested somewhat in Garmin maps. Garmin make a product called Base camp, which is also supposed to be capable of geotagging, although I have found it somewhat aquward at present. Also garmin maps are proritary and there are copywrite issues if you print or publish using them so they are somewhat unuseable for your purposes

there are some third party programs such as ozi explorer that let you scan images (of maps and charts) and then with correct scaling, display your tracks on the maps you scan. You could possibly use these and display waypoints that link to your photos.

There is also a google maps application that lets you put pins in the maps , with references back to your web page, one forum member thought of using this to post locations of all bricks and mortar pentax sellers