Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

Viewing pictures

So I am using a Pentax K100D, and I cannot view the photos I upload to my computer, was wondering if there is a free program I can download to store my pictures thank you

08-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting in raw mode or JPEG? Standard desktop programs should be able to display jpeg's.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
I click on the pictures and it states that it is a PEF file
08-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can either switch to shooting JPEG, convert the to images JPEG in camera, or you can find many free and expensive RAW editors.

08-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You could download this simple but effective program I have used for many years, each update makes it better and better. FastStone Image Viewer It's free by the way.
08-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Now with this fast stone image viewer can I upload my pictures to a website say like Facebook?
08-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've never used it that way so can't attest to if it does or not. I just upload them from my computer when I upload to any of my photo storage sites. I don't put my photos on Facebook simply because if I do, Facebook claims copyright on them.

08-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Take a look at this thread. Windows has a PEF Codec that will let Windows 7 "understand" the Pentax RAW file format.Also, I don't do facebook - i don't even know how to spell it. But, I would think that facebook only wants JPG files. I think that you are probably going to need to convert them. The Silkypix program (the CD) that came with your camera should be able to convert from PEF to JPG for you. Pentax should have the latest update on their website for downloading too.

Google Picasa also understands PEF (after you install the PEF Codec fix above) and can convert to JPG for you.

08-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

For Facebook, you will have to use JPG. Either spend the time on the computer to properly convert your images from PEF ( which is a RAW format) to JPG or reset the picture format in your camera to shoot in JPG. Unless you want to get into photo editing, it will be far simpler to just set up the camera to do it for you. The menu has a selection to set the camera format. You should probably have it set to JPG.