Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sharp lens

Hi all. Can anybody recommend a sharp DSLR standard zoom lens or short to medium prime lens that is as sharp as the MX-1 please. Thanks.

02-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SMC Pentax-DA 16-45mm F4 Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-F 24-50mm F4 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-F 35-135mm F3.5-4.5 Reviews - F Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Or pretty much any prime lens. But a wide angle prime isn't cheap on APS-C. The A 28/2.8 is a very nice manual focus lens, but is a 43mm equivalent on APS-C. So somewhere in the middle of the MX-1 zoom range.
02-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Might add some Sigmas too:
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro HSM (Contemporary) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (No Stabilizer) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

And as Boris says, it's hard to find a prime that's not sharp.

This one is well regarded if you want auto focus.
SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
02-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To get a rough idea on how well lenses perform with actual images and scientific evaluations, go to photozone.de. Just be aware that the resolutions will vary depending on the megapixel count of the camera used. You can see this plainly as there are reviews of the same lens on different bodies.

02-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome! Please tell us some more. What lenses do you already have? What do you want to take photos of?

A favourite budget zoom is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. But I would suggest a prime like DA 35mm f2.4 or DA 50mm f1.8. Zooms give you flexibility, primes give you image quality and brightness.
02-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. My lens list is as follow. Pentax 18-55dal2, FA 50 f1.4, sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6 & 70-300apo. It's just that the MX-1 seems that bit crisper on the focusing. Oh. On a k200d & a k5.
02-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The apparent lack of crispness can come from many different sources.

1) Is your DSLR focusing properly? No front/back focus issues?
2) Are you shooting wide open or stopping down a bit?
3) What kind of sharpening or post processing are you doing?'

I am a raw shooter and I noticed that the images coming out of my Q are very soft. With some minimal post processing in Aperture I can crisp them up just fine.

I will second the F 35-70 mentioned by boriscleto and I will also add the F 28-80mm f/3.5-f/4.5 to the general list here. Both film era lens are readily available on eBay and even come with a free film camera in some cases!

*** edit: Sample picture of the 28-80mm in action.

02-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
My lens list is as follow. Pentax 18-55dal2, FA 50 f1.4, sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6 & 70-300apo.
I owned at one point the DA-L II and it was a very nice lens, optically sharper than the kit lens (at least my copy). I also hear good things about the Sigma 10-20 but I didn't have the chance to try one myself.
02-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the replies. My lens list is as follow. Pentax 18-55dal2, FA 50 f1.4, sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6 & 70-300apo. It's just that the MX-1 seems that bit crisper on the focusing. Oh. On a k200d & a k5.
Try using the K-5 in Live View. Contrast Detect AF may be more accurate than Phase Detect.
02-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You have a FA 50 F1.4 in your list. How do you like the image quality from that lens? Your response will help us to understand your preferences.
02-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
I owned at one point the DA-L II and it was a very nice lens, optically sharper than the kit lens (at least my copy). I also hear good things about the Sigma 10-20 but I didn't have the chance to try one myself.
Ooops. Sorry Agsy, I got that wrong. Its only the DA ii, not the DAL. 6BQ5. I will try the back/front focus adjustment, just in case something is amiss. Never knew there was an adjustment option of the K5. only had the camera a week. Have tried stopping down, normally to around the middle of the lens. I've been looking at images from cameras with out any post alterations. I have read the link on back/front and I'm more than likely over analizing perhaps. As the link states, in the days of film, things were looked at from a distance. So off to take a 'chill pill' and be more focussed, pardon the pun, on picture content. This is the problem of lousy weather and no WR lenses. I do prefer to be outside
02-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
You have a FA 50 F1.4 in your list. How do you like the image quality from that lens? Your response will help us to understand your preferences.
Hi JinDesu. All the images I've been getting, apart from my major errors that have occurred in the past, have been to my liking, and other people have like them too, which I greatly appreciate. Its just this thing where I think the MX-1 seems sharper. Having looked at the comments, I reckon it's me getting my knickers in a twist over an issue that should be ignored, and generally keep an eye on my technique. Hope you all don't mind but I've had a look at your pics in the gallery. Very inspiring. thanks.
02-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Try using the K-5 in Live View.
I agree. Check the focus ring location using live view and compare it to the contrast detect location after AF.

My K-x was front focusing on every lens and that's how I figured it out. Fixed it in debug mode.

An another way to check you focus is with the focus test sheet.

It will show if you are front/back focusing.
02-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
I agree. Check the focus ring location using live view and compare it to the contrast detect location after AF.

My K-x was front focusing on every lens and that's how I figured it out. Fixed it in debug mode.

An another way to check you focus is with the focus test sheet.

It will show if you are front/back focusing.
Thanks agsy. I gonna sound really thick by asking this. What does this mean 'Check the focus ring location using live view and compare it to the contrast detect location after AF'.
02-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks agsy. I gonna sound really thick by asking this. What does this mean 'Check the focus ring location using live view and compare it to the contrast detect location after AF'.
Sorry, I didn't really explain myself there.

This was my own experiment: I would manual focus on a subject with the camera on a tripod using live view until your subject is perfectly in focus. Then, you can mark your spot on the focusing ring compared to the distance scale (I'm thinking your lens has one). After that, you switch back to auto focus and turn live view off. Now try to focus again, see if your focus ring ends up in a different position. If it does, that means that you have to fine tune your focus.

For you the focus chart might work better...