Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spot in viewfinder

When I look in the viewfinder of my semi-new K5 II, I see a small black spot that I have never seen before, but that does not affect picture quality. I took off the lens and I can still see the spot, so the spot must be either on the mirror or focusing screen. I tried using a blower and even used a Q-tip to gently wipe the mirror, but the spot remains. Is there any other place this spot could be lodged, that it shows up every time I look through the viewfinder ?

10-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
mirror or focusing screen
Focus screen. Dust specs on the mirror are usually not visible in the viewfinder. Use the blower on the screen and avoid touching the screen. It is easily scratched. Rachael Katz (maker of the KatzEye focus screen) suggests gently fogging the screen with a light breath to dispel static charge prior to using the blower.

FWIW, a certain amount of dust on the focus screen is a fact of life for SLR cameras and truly not worth thinking about too much.

Steve
10-19-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
FWIW, a certain amount of dust on the focus screen is a fact of life for SLR cameras and truly not worth thinking about too much.
My focusing screen is covered with goobers. I've never tried to clean them as I've been sufficiently instilled with fear of scratching the screen or making it worse. To be honest, I don't even see them any more, unless I'm looking. Some day I'll just replace the whole thing; one of those nice ones with a rule-of-thirds grid.
10-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I look in the viewfinder of my semi-new K5 II, I see a small black spot that I have never seen before, but that does not affect picture quality. I took off the lens and I can still see the spot, so the spot must be either on the mirror or focusing screen. I tried using a blower and even used a Q-tip to gently wipe the mirror, but the spot remains. Is there any other place this spot could be lodged, that it shows up every time I look through the viewfinder ?
Stay away from your mirror with anything physical, like a Q-tip. You could damage a very delicate system. Do not used canned air - Rocket blower or similar, and don't bump against the mirror or anything else in the mirror box with the blower. I have a piece of crud which I suspect is between the focus screen and the prism. As it does not affect image quality, it's best left alone.

10-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There are delicate, anti-static brushes designed for cleaning your mirror, screen, and sensor and they are the easiest, most effective way possible to remove physical debris (not smudges). I've used them many times on all 3 parts and never had any ill effects. Just make sure to follow the directions on preparing, using, and storing them.
10-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I made the mistake of trying to clean my focusing screen once using a LensPen SensorKlean I'd just used to remove a speck from my sensor.

Didn't stop to think that the screen wasn't smooth...a nd bam. Carbon in it. Just a few little specks and only on one side, but occasionally annoying. Not enough to take it out and fix it, though.
10-20-2014, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mission accomplished !

I managed to remove the annoying dust spot. I had way too much time on my hands so with a pair of small tweezers I carefully removed the focusing screen. I then blew on both sides of the screen and then gently put it back. To my surprise the dust spot was still there. So I removed the focusing screen again and this ran it under some cold water in the sink. I carefully dried with anti-static cloth, hit it with the blower and replaced it.

I look through the view finder and the dust-spot is still there. Wow, this is getting frustrating. So with a magnifying glass I inspect the focusing screen, but I can't see anything ? The dust spot must be somewhere else ? That's when I noticed that behind the area where the focusing screen goes, there is another piece of glass I think it's a magnified glass... I took the Q-tip and wiped the magnifying glass down, then I hit it a couple of time with the blower and "Voila" the dust-spot was gone ! My camera is like brand-new.

10-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I managed to remove the annoying dust spot. I had way too much time on my hands so with a pair of small tweezers I carefully removed the focusing screen. I then blew on both sides of the screen and then gently put it back. To my surprise the dust spot was still there. So I removed the focusing screen again and this ran it under some cold water in the sink. I carefully dried with anti-static cloth, hit it with the blower and replaced it.

I look through the view finder and the dust-spot is still there. Wow, this is getting frustrating. So with a magnifying glass I inspect the focusing screen, but I can't see anything ? The dust spot must be somewhere else ? That's when I noticed that behind the area where the focusing screen goes, there is another piece of glass I think it's a magnified glass... I took the Q-tip and wiped the magnifying glass down, then I hit it a couple of time with the blower and "Voila" the dust-spot was gone ! My camera is like brand-new.
I hope you don't get bored very often.

Steve
10-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
Forum Member

You're lucky. I saw dots in my viewfinder. I used clean air from my airbrush compressor to try and blow it clean. I touched nothing, but managed to blow more dust all over the damn screen, mirror, and sensor.

There goes $70 to my local camera repair shop.