Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

Deleted the DCIM Folder from Pentax K5iis?! HELP!

I recently updated my camera to the newest firmware available but since I wasn't using a card reader I was using a cable to connect to the camera and had to copy and paste the firmware in to the camera.

I was half asleep however and deleted the file stupidly. I never really questioned it either because the camera was working fine and I could view the images I took on the back of the camera today.

I got home after some shooting and tried to get to the files to download and there is nothing!? Obviously because it needs a DCIM folder :/

I'm using a file recovery now but will I have to use that each time I want to get images off my camera now? Is there anyway to get the DCIM folder back on? Can't find anything about it online

Thanks for your help in advance.

10-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A new SD card from any manufacturer doesn't have that file on it your camera I will put that file in there when you take pictures. Try formatting the card in your camera to see if it will come to life again after you do your recovery.
10-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by moomin Quote
I recently updated my camera to the newest firmware available but since I wasn't using a card reader I was using a cable to connect to the camera and had to copy and paste the firmware in to the camera.

I was half asleep however and deleted the file stupidly. I never really questioned it either because the camera was working fine and I could view the images I took on the back of the camera today.

I got home after some shooting and tried to get to the files to download and there is nothing!? Obviously because it needs a DCIM folder :/

I'm using a file recovery now but will I have to use that each time I want to get images off my camera now? Is there anyway to get the DCIM folder back on? Can't find anything about it online

Thanks for your help in advance.
I don't think that there is anything special about the DCIM folder; if it is not there in the root directory, the camera will create one anyway. BTW, I also don't think that was the proper way (copy and paste) of upgrading the camera firmware.
10-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BCtoad Quote
A new SD card from any manufacturer doesn't have that file on it your camera I will put that file in there when you take pictures. Try formatting the card in your camera to see if it will come to life again after you do your recovery.
I was thinking that, i'm sure they come automatically but it put me in to a state of panic I'll try that thanks!

---------- Post added 10-24-14 at 08:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I don't think that there is anything special about the DCIM folder; if it is not there in the root directory, the camera will create one anyway. BTW, I also don't think that was the proper way (copy and paste) of upgrading the camera firmware.
Hahaha I know what you mean, but my laptop doesn't have a card reader build in and I don't have a card reader, the other option was to download the file and put the folder in to the camera once its connected to the computer via a cable It worked!

10-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never really questioned it either because the camera was working fine and I could view the images I took on the back of the camera today.

THEN DON'T FORMAT!!!

First you could try recovering your pictures with a data recovery software...
If you could see them on your camera's LCD, then they are there...
10-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was thinking that, i'm sure they come automatically but it put me in to a state of panic I'll try that thanks!

---------- Post added 10-24-14 at 08:49 PM ----------

Hahaha I know what you mean, but my laptop doesn't have a card reader build in and I don't have a card reader, the other option was to download the file and put the folder in to the camera once its connected to the computer via a cable It worked!
After downloading the firmware BIN file from the web, connect the camera via USB cable... and copy the BIN file in the root directory of the SD card, disconnect the USB cable and then reset the camera to proceed with the firmware upgrade (holding the MENU button while turning on the camera). BTW, I don't think that I would use the USB cable to connect the camera every time I upload the photos to my laptop - getting a SD card reader (supporting USB 3.0 would be ideal) would be more convenient (at least to me anyway).

Last edited by aleonx3; 10-24-2014 at 02:00 PM.
10-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
BTW, I also don't think that was the proper way (copy and paste) of upgrading the camera firmware.
There's nothing wrong with using the copy'n'paste commands, it simply copies the file from the source to the target like any other file copy method.
Only the 'command' is copied to the clipboard NOT the file.

10-24-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
There's nothing wrong with using the copy'n'paste commands, it simply copies the file from the source to the target like any other file copy method.
Only the 'command' is copied to the clipboard NOT the file.
You are right.. when I first read it... I thought the OP copies the firmware (over-write) onto the camera. I realize that it is not possible to see the firmware when connected to the laptop, only the content of the SD card is accessible.