Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 II live view noise and loose (?) sensor?

Hi,

I think I might have a problem with my K-5 II. It's a bit worrying since I have the camera just for 3 days. So here it goes. When I switch to live view and start zooming, camera produce kind of a t.t.t.t.t noise. I get an impression of the sensor hitting something. I'm aware of how SR system works, and that it produces "hum noise" but there is that ticking noise that I'm afraid of. The noise is easily heard when watching a video made by camera. Also when I remove the lens and switch to live view I see the sensor moving quite lively. So there are my questions:
1. Is the ticking sound while zooming a normal thing?
2. How freely the sensor should be moving?

Oh and just in case. Removing the battery or switching camera on and off does not help. Although when I switch the SR off in photo mode it helps.

Thanks for any help and advice. I have used Pentax film SLRs for many years and I never had a single failure

11-21-2014, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #2

Yes - mine makes a slight humming as well as a tinking noise depending on how much movement. Also when zooming if it stops down the aperture because you are zooming to something brighter you will definitely hear a clicking noise as well.
11-21-2014, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also, don't use SR in indoor videos as you will hear the noises in video with SR. Outdoor though, I use SR since there is more ambient noise and I never really hear the clicking.
11-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers. I have bought my camera online and I was worried that something broke down during delivery process. These sounds are really annoying while making a video indoors but since I bought my K-5 for photography and not for videography it's not super important. Love for Pentax is a little bit harder these days.

11-22-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulatons on buying the awesome camera! But keep in mind its a top tier product, maybe you should read up about it a little.
I think this list covers your question and others:
15 Beginner FAQ's for Pentax DSLR Users - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
11-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually this sensor based video stabilization is missed by users of newer cameras such as K-3, since Pentax has now implemented a software based stabilization.
The sensor stabilization is preferred because it does not affect the picture, whereas the software one causes strange image wobbles when the camera is not moving.
So consider your self lucky
11-25-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
SR system in K-5 is absolutely lovely but i just wanted to know whether this rattle sound is a normal thing. It makes it only while zooming, only in LV, only in hands and not on a tripod or any other solid structure (like table). Anyway the camera is still making good photos and now I think these sounds are normal. Thank you guys

03-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am experiencing the same with my K-30 but only when a vintage lens is installed. Have you reached any conclusions in your case?
03-25-2016, 07:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I specifically try and avoid using live view with SR, especially at longer focal lengths, as I find the noises a bit disturbing and worry that a lot of wear and tear is occurring to the SR mechanism .....