Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

How to choose focus point

Total newb question - during one of the books/tutorials I watched, I learned how to display many potential focus points in the viewfinder and then select which I want. I can't seem to recreate that ability on my K-3 though, nor have I been able to find the reference instructing me how to do so. So, rather than allow the camera to select my focus point, I want to be able to choose quickly. Please advise. Thanks so much :-)

11-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
well if you want to keep it simple, use the one dot, center focal point, rather than multi-points....It doesn't mean you have to have the foucs in the center of your phot...just press the trigger halfway down focusing on where you want the focus to be, hold the focus and frame the photo how you want....
11-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it's p44 in manual. Sounds like really good AF system.
11-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TrailRunner Quote
I can't seem to recreate that ability on my K-3 though
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I think it's p44 in manual.
It is in the manual, but a bit hard to actually use (instructions are not really that clear) and not that quick. In my opinion, the usefulness is sort of limited, but then again I prefer manual focus. That aside, there are several ways to use this function. The easiest, IMHO is below
  • Press the info button to bring up the control panel display on the rear LCD
  • Use the four-way controller to highlight the AF type tile
  • Use the rear e-dial to cycle through the selections to AF Active Area Select (aka SEL 1 or select single point). The viewfinder and rear LCD will display the AF Point Select icon.
  • Use the four-way controller to select the point you want using the rear LCD or viewfinder as a guide
To change the selected point, push the focus point select button at lower right on the camera back.

As noted above, using center point (spot) focus and AF lock (half press) is much quicker.

Steve

11-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TrailRunner Quote
So, rather than allow the camera to select my focus point, I want to be able to choose quickly.
You can't be in green Auto mode. Then you press the Info button on the back of the camera that lets you choose between auto, centre point, or select point. You choose select point. Now you can choose the point you want. You might have to hold the Ok button for 1 second to switch between AF point selection and the regular menus (ISO, WB, bracketing,..)
11-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

To ad you can also use the back AF button. No need to hold it, a press, attain focus and release will lock the focus. I don't know if on the K3, like the K5, you'd need to disable the shutter half press so it wouldn't refocus on shutter depression.
11-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I don't know if on the K3, like the K5, you'd need to disable the shutter half press so it wouldn't refocus on shutter depression.
Yes.

Steve