Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

Pentax k3 Playback issue?

Hello, I'm fairly new to Pentax (K3) so I'm not sure if this is a issue or not. I've noticed that in playback mode there is some hesitation in rendering the images taken when flipping through the photos. Again this is my first Pentax, version 1.11 on board.

12-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing to check would be the speed of your card. There is no noticeable delay with a fast card.
Recommend Sandisk Extreme Pro @ 45mb/s or better
12-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TheDude1363 Quote
Hello, I'm fairly new to Pentax (K3) so I'm not sure if this is a issue or not. I've noticed that in playback mode there is some hesitation in rendering the images taken when flipping through the photos. Again this is my first Pentax, version 1.11 on board.
The delay should be minimal with a fast card. If you're using a class 2, 4, or 6 card, then it's way too slow for the K-3.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm currently running a SanDisk Extreme PLUS SDXC-1 U3 Class 10 80MB/s size 32gb

12-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm currently running a SanDisk Extreme PLUS SDXC-1 U3 Class 10 80MB/s size 32gb
Interesting, you should not see any noticeable delay at all with that card. I certainly do not. Are you shooting jpeg or RAW? I only shoot RAW so that might be a difference.

You could also try formatting the card in the camera, but to be honest I don't see how that would help unless the file structure is messed up. You could also run a speed test on the card to see if it is actually performing at rated speed.

There have been reports of some things such as shadow or highlight correction slowing things down, but I would think that would only matter on the initial save, not on the review since presumably the preview is already baked at that point.
12-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'll run some test tonight, I'll try a different card and I'll shot a couple raw shots. How would one go about testing a cards speed? Thanks....
12-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #7

My K5 ii does this with a class 6 card. It will show the picture right away (very little delay there) but will take a second or two (or even maybe three) before it updates the display picture with a higher resolution version. Is this what you refer to?

12-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yes... the K3 takes a second (probably less) to render a clean image.

---------- Post added 12-17-14 at 08:14 PM ----------

Just tested the camera with a new card (same brand, size and class), tried raw vs. Jpeg and even tried the different card slots 1 and 2 then both together. Nothing changed, now I know im probably being somewhat picky but I figured for the price one pays this would be an issue unless I'm missing something.

Phoned- does your k5iis improve with faster cards?

---------- Post added 12-17-14 at 08:25 PM ----------

Just tested the camera with a new card (same brand, size and class), tried raw vs. Jpeg and even tried the different card slots 1 and 2 then both together. Nothing changed, now I know im probably being somewhat picky but I figured for the price one pays this would be an issue unless I'm missing something.

12-17-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What playback mode or overlay are you using? There are 5 options:
- No Information Display
- RGB Histogram Display
- Histogram Display
- Detailed Information Display
- Standard Information Display

The histogram displays do feature a slight delay as the histogram is calculated. The 'Standard Information Display' and the 'No Information Display' settings are fastest.

And how are you reviewing the images? Just by using the left<> right arrows on the back of the camera, or the front -e-dial? Should work the same, but just checking.
12-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
I haven't yet gotten to the histogram function. What I've noticed is that there's a slight hesitation in rendering the image during playback it appears to have noise but then corrects itself it only last the fraction of a second but I must admit it's odd. I also own a Panasonic GX 7 Micro Four Thirds16 megapixel. Do you think it has to do with a mega pixel count?
12-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I suspect you have some of the JPEG correctionitems (e.g distortion correction) turned on. This slows down processing. If you turn them off, review should be instant. I use RAW+ and turn all corrections off, you can add them back in when post processing using PDCU5
12-18-2014, 03:10 AM   #12

Original Poster
I'LL check it out in the AM. Thank you.
01-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #13

Sorry for the late reply but I've not yet gotten a faster card to try. Did you get your issues sorted out?
01-13-2015, 04:05 AM   #14

Original Poster
Unfortunately no... Again it's only a Slight hesitation in rendering the playback image.
01-13-2015, 05:22 AM   #15
Banned

It's normal, don't worry about it. I've had 4 different models, they all do/did the same thing, it's just the way the display draws the image.