Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-x focusing issues about to give up

Hi,
I am frustrated focusing my K-x. I just can't tell if it is in focus or not. I added a split screen to help me focus but when the auto focus says it is correct, the split screen is off. I am about to give up on it which is a shame, I have a sweet Tameron 28-75 to go with it. Don't suppose anyone here can help me.

12-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This may sound silly, and I truly don't mean to insult you, but have you adjusted the wheel above the viewfinder? I was having problems with mine. I was so frustrated for a couple of months. Then I realized my eyes had changed over the past year, and I recently had to get reading glasses. My uncle actually mentioned it. I turned that wheel and everything cleared up, leaving me feeling like an idiot for not thinking of it first. It's one of those things that's so easy, we forget about it.
12-26-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TinaS Quote
This may sound silly, and I truly don't mean to insult you, but have you adjusted the wheel above the viewfinder? I was having problems with mine. I was so frustrated for a couple of months. Then I realized my eyes had changed over the past year, and I recently had to get reading glasses. My uncle actually mentioned it. I turned that wheel and everything cleared up, leaving me feeling like an idiot for not thinking of it first. It's one of those things that's so easy, we forget about it.
That changes the clarity of what you see but wouldn't change the split area of the focusing screen.
12-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That changes the clarity of what you see but wouldn't change the split area of the focusing screen.
Just thought I'd mention it since it's an easy place to start. I only have the original focusing screen, but everything just looked out of focus when mine needed adjusted.

12-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

simple question : is what you see always completely off ? I mean, do you never have anything in focus no matter on what you try to focus? (even when using manual focus).
If "YES !": then you did put your focusing screen on the wrong side

if NO : try to focus on an object with nothing close to it using the AF, take the snap, and check the focus.

Then : is the AF good or is it the focsuing screen not showing you the focus at is place ?
12-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The split screen might need adjust. I am not sure if you can get shim for Kx-- does the screen come with some shims? Using a fast lens to make sure what you see in viewfinder matches what you get in the photos.
Then adjust the AF separately.
12-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Genshu Quote
I am frustrated focusing my K-x. I just can't tell if it is in focus or not. I added a split screen to help me focus but when the auto focus says it is correct, the split screen is off. I am about to give up on it which is a shame, I have a sweet Tameron 28-75 to go with it. Don't suppose anyone here can help me.
I had focusing problems on my K-x with the Tamron 17-50,
especially at the wider end.
The quick fix was to use the CDAF from live view.
It's slower than PDAF, but was always accurate.

Never bothered with split screens,
because of the hassle getting them shimmed correctly,
and their potential to mess with the metering,
or not work with slow lenses.

12-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It took me nearly two hours to finally get the shims right for the focusing screen on my K-x. I think I finally ended up using a combination of the stock shim and the one(s) provided with the focusing screen. It was a tedious trial and error, checking with some test shots after each combination of shims. But in the end I got pretty accurate focus using the screen.

So if your focusing screen installation was easy, it's certainly possible there's a problem there.
12-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh man, thank you for the responses.

I think I am about ready to get a point and shoot to be able to get better pics then my smart phone, but without the bulk of a slr. Kind of a shame. Ultimately I think the focus issues is what has made my experiences shooting with the K-x not as rewarding as I had hoped. Im pretty teched out, don't feel like fussing with the focus screen, turns out that not having focus indicators is a big factor, not being able to manually focus, can't really tell if it is a good focused shot until its on the computer; all leads up to a murky photographic experience. I have this sweet tameron lens, could get a newer pentax body, with focus indicators, but presently thinking that if I had a smaller camera I would bring it a lot more often then I do with the K-x. Wish I could manually focus like in the old days, but without trusting the split screen, I just can't tell what is going on. Perhaps when if I get in the mood at another time I'll try to tackle shimming the screen.
12-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Q time?
12-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Or you could just update your body to one that works better with manual focusing (such as one with focus peaking).

But if you're not taking the camera with you, perhaps you do need something smaller anyway. Certainly there are many good options out there today for smaller cameras - both ILCs and premium compacts.