Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

newbie with manual lens and meter?

Hi there,

So I recently purchased the Rokinon 14mm F2.8 and have been learning how to work with a manual lens. I also just took a class that taught me how to use the light meter on my K-50.

I bought this lens knowing it was fully manual and have no regrets but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to make it work with the light meter on my K-50? I've been searching online and haven't found a clear answer to this question.

Thanks,
deanejf2

03-06-2015, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Deanejf2, it's not a fully manual lens, it's just manual focus.

But you can always put your *K-50* into M mode and look at the light meter scale in the viewfinder. The zero marker is what it reckons is correct to make everything 18 percent grey.

You manually adjust your aperture, shutter speed and ISO controls to make the needle move left or right.

'Chimp' after the first shot/s to see if you need to adjust further.

Last edited by clackers; 03-06-2015 at 10:13 PM.
03-06-2015, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deanjef2 Quote
Hi there,

So I recently purchased the Rokinon 14mm F2.8 and have been learning how to work with a manual lens. I also just took a class that taught me how to use the light meter on my K-50.

I bought this lens knowing it was fully manual and have no regrets but I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to make it work with the light meter on my K-50? I've been searching online and haven't found a clear answer to this question.

Thanks,
deanejf2
Keep the aperture ring set to "A" and then put the camera in M mode. Do not move the aperture ring away from A as this will "cripple" the metering system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Clackers and Adam - thank you!

03-07-2015, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you do want to control aperture on the lens by moving off of A, you have to set your camera up for green button metering. Probably much less useful than putting the lens in A mode, but there may be times where you want it that way.
03-08-2015, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Do not move the aperture ring away from A as this will "cripple" the metering system.
Just a small bit of clarification (hope Adam does not mind)...using the aperture ring on the lens will not harm or "cripple" the metering system on your camera. What it does do is force you to use more limited shooting modes* and limits in-camera metering options.** Unless you are doing macro work using extension tubes or bellows where there are no A-contacts on the mount, there is no good reason to use your lens off the A position.

Steve

* M mode or X modes if you want aperture control

** Stop-down in M-mode, None for X, or wide open Av for other all other modes