Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 03:46 AM   #1

DSLR handgrip accessory problem

Hi PF Friends,

I've been using this inexpensive handgrip that screw to the camera's tripod mount and it's been ok but lately it "slips" and the plastic slides away from where it is when it's on properly.

I really like the handiness of the handgrip and that I can hang my strap from it but am interested in what you guys recommend as better or best.

Many Thanks in advance!
John

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-N7100  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GT-N7100  Photo 
04-19-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
Banned

Why not give this a try: Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video

I never had a problem with slippage of the mounting plate. I now use the BlackRapid wrist strap, that's another option you could try.
04-19-2015, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure how much friction that surface offers. For our loose carpets, we have some rubber netting stuff (about 1mm thick), that lays between the tile/wooden floor and the carpet to prevent the carpet from slipping.
See if you can find something similar and put that in between the 'grip' and the body.

Other problem might be that the bolt is just that fraction too long so it can't properly clamp the grip. Again the above mentioned rubber can help.
04-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thread locker that you use on cars ? Make sure to get the non permanent

04-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Why not give this a try: Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video

I never had a problem with slippage of the mounting plate. I now use the BlackRapid wrist strap, that's another option you could try.
I'll second the recommendation for the Pentax hand strap. It works pretty well. I've used it on a K-5 and now a K-3.

For your existing hand strap, a cheap fix to the slipping problem might be as simple as wrapping a rubber band around the strap's base so that when you attach the strap base, the rubber it is pinched between the strap base and the camera bottom. The rubber, being a little tacky, will make it less likely to slip/rotate out of position. This is a trick I used to use when I had a cheap tripod mounting plate that wouldn't cinch up tightly enough to the camera base to keep it from slipping with the camera held sideways (in the portrait position) from the tripod with the somewhat heavy DA*50-135 mounted.