Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Connection for downloading photos

The K-5II has a connector port labelled PC/AV. I use it to connect a USB cord and down load photos. The K-3 does not have a port with this label, but does have a port labelled HDMI, which looks to be about the size of the PC/AV on the K-5II. However, it also has a two part port with no letter labels, but with the network symbol, as shown in attached photo.

Some one please forgive my ignorance long enough to tell me which port to use to download photos from the K-3.

Many thanks.

ivan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the USB 3.0 port, the one with the network symbol. It requires a USB 3.0 cable and to function at full speed needs a USB 3.0 port on your computer. It will still work, at USB 2.0 speeds, if your computer is only capable of that. It is a standard cable by the way, nothing special. One from the store or from an external HD will work fine.
04-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
However, it also has a two part port with no letter labels
This is a USB3 connection. If you don't have USB3 on your PC and a new cable, the older USB2 plug will fit in one half to give you same download speeds as your K5ii
04-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
This is a USB3 connection. If you don't have USB3 on your PC and a new cable, the older USB2 plug will fit in one half to give you same download speeds as your K5ii
The USB 2 micro b connector will fit a USB 3 micro b port. The older Pentax cameras had a USB mini type b 4 position connector...

04-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The older Pentax cameras had a USB mini type b 4 position connector...
You are correct.
Its been a long time since I used a cable on my K5. I must have used a phone cable when I first got the K3. Now I have a $15 USB3 card fitted to my PC and a new cable, love the speed difference on the larger file size.
04-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
You are correct.
Its been a long time since I used a cable on my K5. I must have used a phone cable when I first got the K3. Now I have a $15 USB3 card fitted to my PC and a new cable, love the speed difference on the larger file size.
Thank you. I already tried that, but the USB cord used with my K5II does not fit into the K-3 port. Maybe the port has been damaged in some way.

ivan
04-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Thank you. I already tried that, but the USB cord used with my K5II does not fit into the K-3 port. Maybe the port has been damaged in some way.

ivan
The cable from the K-5 II is USB Mini. You need a USB Micro cable to connect to the K-3.

04-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ivanvernon. I was corrected by Boriscleto. He is correct in saying that you need a USB micro. The K5 used USB mini (see picture) this cable is actually for my old LG phone.
Attached Images

04-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #9
Closed Account

I had always pulled the card on my K-50 and used a card reader, but I use the USB 3.0 mini-port on the K-3 exclusively now. Quick and easy. My wife's GS5 uses one, as well, so I have a backup in case the el cheapo model I purchased takes a dive.
04-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Since the "old" days when battery life was so-so I've always used a card reader for viewing and transferring. Now that the batteries seem to last much longer is there any advantage to gong the USB 3 cable route?
04-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
Closed Account

For me, it's just not having to remove the card. Both our card readers don't always want to show up in Windows explorer when I plug them in. Direct connection with the cable hasn't let me down yet. You also get the increase transfer speeds if you plug it into a USB 3.0 port on your machine. You would get the same benefit with a USB 3.0 card reader, but its just one less thing for me to be tempted to buy 😀
04-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I purchased a USB 3 card reader by Transcend from Amazon for $6. I'm not a big fan of connecting my camera directly, and I find the card reader is fantastic. It also saved me from having to buy a USB 3 cable, which I don't own. I did attempt using my USB 2 cables from my android phones, and they are definitely lower than that $6 card reader. I also find the card reader easier to pack around.
04-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I purchased a USB 3 card reader by Transcend from Amazon for $6. I'm not a big fan of connecting my camera directly, and I find the card reader is fantastic. It also saved me from having to buy a USB 3 cable, which I don't own. I did attempt using my USB 2 cables from my android phones, and they are definitely lower than that $6 card reader. I also find the card reader easier to pack around.
I have the same card reader and do find it faster than the older USB 2 readers. And I agree they are super easy to carry around. I will do a test just to see if there's any speed difference - my bet is I will be sticking with my current technique.
04-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

HDMI is for connection to a TV.

Its not the battery life that concerns me about using the USB port. Its the reliability of the soldered connections on the camera's motherboard. I never use the USB port on my K10D.

I know that, a few years ago, there were reports that the USB ports were coming loose from the motherboard and failing. Unfortunately, Pentax won't cover this and replacing the motherboard is very expensive. My wife has had three Kindle Fire tablets fail in this way. I don't know if Pentax has reinforced the port in newer cameras, but in the older ones, the only thing physically holding the port to the motherboard was the solder connections to the copper traces. It doesn't take much wiggling of the USB cable to eventually dislodge the internal connector.

I always use a card reader.
04-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used the USB ports in my K-x and K-5 for year's. Never a problem.