Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 05:27 AM   #1

Broken battery retainer on K30 - is it a problem?

Hi everyone, sorry that my first post is a trouble shooting question.

On my K30 the small gray plastic retainer that keeps the battery in place has broken. The battery is now just held in place by the door and it is working - but for how long? Has this happened to anyone else and did you get it repaired or just leave it? The camera is getting on for 2 years old now so not covered by a warranty.

My second question is this enough of an excuse for an upgrade....?

Thanks

05-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess as long as the door latch is good you're ok. I think the main purpose of the latch is to keep the battery from sliding out when you open the battery door. In case you would open it accidentally, or fumble with it in the dark. But I don't know if the pressure from the battery would make the door wear more. Hopefully not. How did it break?
05-09-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks ramseybuckeye. There doesn't seem to be too much pressure on the door, at least it isn't springing open. The battery isn't sitting very deep though so I am worried about the possibility of a bad connection. I think I am going to get a quote for a repair. Not sure how it happened. I usually charge my battery every and today when I opened it up it was just broken and I am usually pretty gentle with it...

Thanks again
05-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always worried about that: how long will that tiny piece of plastic that is keeping my battery in last?

I'm sorry it happened to you

05-09-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Imp. Yeah it is definitely a vulnerable spot. The point where it broke can only be a couple of mils thick if that.
05-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Mine just broke, too. Need to send it in but can't find my extended warranty card

Can you please post here when you get a quote?
05-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You could put a small foam/cushion inside the door to keep the pressure on the battery when you close the door.

Just to keep the pressure on the battery so that it doesn't disconnect when juggling the camera around during use.

05-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #8
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a piece of gaffers tape (photo tape) to secure the battery cover on my k-x.
05-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
Banned

Perhaps something like this would help stabilize the battery. You could stick one on the bottom of the battery.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 08-30-2015 at 08:04 AM.
05-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Seems to be a common weakness with the K-30/K-50. I'd be worried about adding force on the battery door that would compromise the weather seal by putting something in the compartment to push the battery.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/282464-k-30-battery-...hlight=battery
05-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine broke 2 weeks prior to the end of warranty. It has been repaired. I wasn't going to worry about it . I do not have any WR lenses so if it did compromise the WR of the body it would have happened any way with an ordinary lens. The contacts are long enough that It never did not work. I was talked into getting it repaired simply because it WAS unde warranty. I hace seen posts where google eyes were used but i figured it didn't seem to effect the camera so I wasn't worried .If it hadnt' been under warranty it still wouldn't be fixed. I also figured the battery door on my DL holds the batteries in fine and I am sure it is no more solid that the K-30. Just my 2 cents.
05-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I have taken your advice and put a thin piece of foam on the top of the battery couple with a bit of tape over the door. I am still going to call Pentax on Monday to get a quote. I am in Japan and repairs here tend to be expensive, and I am also expecting a long lead time
A couple of days ago I was clambering up rocks to take pictures of waterfalls, I am wondering if I might have bumped it without realizing it. However, the plastic on this part is quite brittle - a more durable plastic might have been a good idea.
05-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #13

Many of the Takumars don't even use cross drive screws, just single slotted screws. Even though JIS had it's origins pre-WWII the Japanese camera didn't fully adopt the use of JIS screws until the 1970s, if I recall correctly.
05-12-2015, 05:21 AM   #14

Original Poster
Might not be so relevant but I'll post anyway. The cheapest quote I got was through a local camera shop here in Japan called BIC camera. They quoted 4,600yen (about 40dollars) and 2 weeks lead time. I think it is too expensive I am just going to leave it and start saving for an upgrade!
12-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #15

December 7, 2015 Hello to all. Just joined this community. My K-30 battery retainer piece just broke today...the tiny piece. Battery won't turn on the camera.
I called the company....warranty is outdated. I will have to pay repairs. Estimate so far is over $200 US. WHAT?
It has to go to PRECISION CAMERA in Enfield, Connecticut for repairs. Their office was closed today. I will call tomorrow.
***putting in foam pieces did not keep the battery in place or camera on.
Hoping for a miracle and a huge discount on price for repair.